Best Pair of cans for rock........
May 21, 2005 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

braker218

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I am looking to upgrade from my sr 80's to something better. I was hoping to get some recommendations for the best pair of cans for under 250 bucks. I listen mostly to classic rock(Zep, Floyd etc) and a little bit of modern day rock.
I was thinking of SR-225's with flat pads, but am definately not set on that, so please feel free to recommend anything.

Thanks a bunch for any ideas.

May 21, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 17
I would reccomend the SR325i. If you are willing to go used they can be had for around 240-255 here on headfi.
EDIT: I would also say that if you go with the SR225s get the C-pads instead of flats

May 21, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 17
I have the 225's with flats. Love them. They are THE rock phone, especially for classic rock. Get them with flats and know that you have the best rock can in the world. Punchy as hell, highs are not bad with the flats, and if you do not tap your feet with them, you are not alive
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218
Hey,
I am looking to upgrade from my sr 80's to something better. I was hoping to get some recommendations for the best pair of cans for under 250 bucks. I listen mostly to classic rock(Zep, Floyd etc) and a little bit of modern day rock.
I was thinking of SR-225's with flat pads, but am definately not set on that, so please feel free to recommend anything.

Thanks a bunch for any ideas.

I'm liking my Beyer 250-250's for rock. You can get them for $150 new. They do need an amp to shine......
orphsmile.gif

May 21, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I have the 225's with flats. Love them. They are THE rock phone, especially for classic rock. Get them with flats and know that you have the best rock can in the world. Punchy as hell, highs are not bad with the flats, and if you do not tap your feet with them, you are not alive
smily_headphones1.gif

What he said. Case closed
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 17
Here are your best options for Rock (in no particular order):

- Grado 225's
- Alessandro MS-2/MS-2i
- Beyer dt770
- Beyer dt990
- Sennheiser hd590

happy listening!

- augustwest

May 21, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 17
actually, for rock, i think you might be better served by the sr325 with flats.

ime most, if not all, of the complaints here regarding it's sharp highs are from members who do not use the flats.

May 21, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
actually, for rock, i think you might be better served by the sr325 with flats.

ime most, if not all, of the complaints here regarding it's sharp highs are from members who do not use the flats.

I'd probably agree with this...I put the flats on my 225's and IMO it kinda killed the detailed highs I guess I've grown to like, great bass though. I put them on if I'm feeling the need for some
basshead.gif
, but other than I stick to the bowls
biggrin.gif

That being said, 225's + bowl pads KILL for rock, it's what I use. If you want to step it up another notch go for the 325's + flats, they'll tame those highs and bring out the Grado slam, this will probably be my next move.

May 21, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
I would reccomend the SR325i. If you are willing to go used they can be had for around 240-255 here on headfi.
EDIT: I would also say that if you go with the SR225s get the C-pads instead of flats

you will be semi disappointed when you first hear the 325i. I did as the high are very very shrill, now after 100hr break in its more tamed. I feel like I am taming my SR80 all over again, too me 6month to tame that beat. now its liquid high and thunder deep low, albit a more closed in feel.

SR325i probably will take longer to break in..sigh...1yr perhaps? fact: these grado can be a pain to break in but they pay back in multiples in sound nervana after you paid your dues...
smily_headphones1.gif

and regarding the flat pads, I used them, and found that the base is more accurate and feels goes deeper with the bowl, mind you this is after 3 yrs break-in on SR80, so sure use the flat now, but be prepared to "kick it up a notch" after a year with your bowl
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 17
I think I must be the strangest head-fier on on this forum because I use the setup below when listening to rock music! But to me the Senns sound just like a great pair of speakers and I can't handle harsh highs for any length of time. (Also the Rega Ear is the most rockin' amp when it comes to high impedance cans)

May 21, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
I think I must be the strangest head-fier on on this forum because I use the setup below when listening to rock music! But to me the Senns sound just like a great pair of speakers and I can't handle harsh highs for any length of time. (Also the Rega Ear is the most rockin' amp when it comes to high impedance cans)

I used to be a grado guy, but got tired of the up front sound. Literally. I started getting fatigued by it, so I switched to senns and have been loving my rock collection more ever since. I'd suggest you try some senns from a vendor with a good 30 day return policy, and see how you like them. You could always return them and get grados if you weren't satisfied. With your budget you could afford the hd595. Use this opportunity to try a different house sound- you may be surprised!

May 21, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #14 of 17
Yeah the 595s would be good to try - they are slightly more upfront than the 580/600/650 series. But bear in mind the Senns have a long burn in time. I have my Senns on all the time, even when I am listening through my speakers, and they still continue to improve.

Also I was wondering, how much do the HD600s cost in the US, I paid just over $250 here in the UK?

May 21, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
AKG 240S-55ohm, $99 from todds
biggrin.gif

Are these phones ok to use with portable devices? I had a look and the sensitivity seems a bit low, but they look like cans that mean business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back