Best Overall under $600????
Sep 13, 2006 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheeeChosenOne

Head-Fier
I want a resolving dynamic headphone that works well when watching movies and listening to music that runs the whole gamut from classical and jazz to heavy metal, etc.

I'm prepared to get an amp if necessary and I don't care if the phone is open or closed.

Everyone speaks highly of the K701. Would this be the general consensus best headphone under $600?....

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 8
Try a bunch of headphones, I would if I had that much money to spend on a pair. Heavy metal though? Grado / Alessandro
rs1smile.gif
... I love them though, so I'm a little biased, heh. K701s based on what I've read, would be too light and thin for heavy metal, which emphasizes thickness and weight (attack as well, which grados are lovely for.) Again though, that's just one of the aspects of your musical taste, so perhaps two cans would be better? Hell, I don't know, you really have to try stuff to see if you like it in the world of headphones.

My suggestion is to go to headphone.com, and order a medley of headphones to try out. Sennheiser, Grado, etc... and audition them; then proceed to return the ones you don't like (30-day type of thing). Voila! One happy (hopefully) head-fier.

~Tom

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 8
You should consider the Sennheiser HD650, Grado RS 2 and beyerdynamic DT 880/990 as well

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 8
there is no such thing as a general consensus. Having heard many of the offerings under $600, I'd say the K701 was the best choice. But if I were you, I'd just buy used and resell different ones before you decide; an RS1 might be worth a try, as well as the ATH-AD2000, or a new DT990. MAYBE an HD600, but I definitely prefer the K701 over the Senn. dynamics.

Sep 13, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 8
In that price range why not diversify? Get the SR225's for rock, metal and the likes and the HD650 for the rest including movies. The Headroom Micro would pair well with both but amps are a whole other can of worms
eggosmile.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheeeChosenOne
Everyone speaks highly of the K701. Would this be the general consensus best headphone under $600?....

Yes sir!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull
K701s based on what I've read, would be too light and thin for heavy metal, which emphasizes thickness and weight (attack as well, which grados are lovely for.) Again though, that's just one of the aspects of your musical taste, so perhaps two cans would be better? Hell, I don't know, you really have to try stuff to see if you like it in the world of headphones.

~Tom

Ya not a good idea to give an opinion on a headphone you never heard! especially when it couldn't be further from the truth.
Out of box it's a bit thin, but give them some time and they'll transform to this heavy, warm, milky, silky smooth yum yum your ears will cream over.

Sep 13, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 8
I think he just means that K701s aren't as good for rock which I agree with(and I had them for awhile) but they didn't sound thin to me I just feel like you should leave rock to the Grados. Even though the OP told us what he wants in a headphone it's impossible to say which one is the best until you actually hear it.

For example a lot of people love the Grado RS-1 but some people say it is overpriced/overrated, then there are people who say the sa5000 are among the worst headphones you can buy as opposed to people who say they would never give up the sa5000 because of its unique sound signature. I bought the K701s because I thought I wanted the most neutral/balanced headphone I could get in its specific price range but I now realize that I don't. I am looking at Grados, Sennheiser, and even the SA5000 at the moment to replace the K701s which I liked, it was just time to move on. BTW, I thought the strengths of the K701s were mids, soundstage, and overall balance(they didn't have any glaring weaknesses).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back