Best overall soundcard for good balance between music and games
Apr 26, 2004 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GreenFloyd

Head-Fier
The audigy 2 is giving me hell with some of my games (Far Cry in particular) and the software is kind of annoying. It's not all I had hoped for.

I'm thinking of returning it and getting something better. What's a good overall soundcard for both good music playing and game with EAX supported? I'm thinking the Santa Cruz, but I don't know. Possibly Chaintech or M-Audio? Audigy 1?

Btw, my soundcard before upgrading was a Live! 5.1.

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 8
There's gonna be Au3 in the near future.Its gonna be something very poweful for games and wont even work thru regular PCI slot due to insufficient data bandwidth

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 8
The Revo and Chaintech are good options of a compromise of gaming/music, but since they don't have native EAX hardware, there will be a slight CPU hit for games with EAX enabled. But if the A2 ain't workin', then I'd give one of the m a try. Hard not to with the Chaintech's price
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

There's gonna be Au3 in the near future

The Audigy 3 better not out-perform the EMU 1212m which should be arriving here soon.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
The Revo and Chaintech are good options of a compromise of gaming/music, but since they don't have native EAX hardware, there will be a slight CPU hit for games with EAX enabled. But if the A2 ain't workin', then I'd give one of the m a try. Hard not to with the Chaintech's price
biggrin.gif

Actually depending on the game and sound settings, the CPU hit can be huge. In general, expect about 10 to 20% less FPS on average on normal settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back