Best overall setup for multiple in/out sources?
Jan 3, 2017 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TobySpruce

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I am on the hunt for a new setup and need some help. My goal here is to create an entertainment station that I can play anything through with as little hassle as possible.  Ideally my CD, Vinyl, Digital player, TV, ect. could all be plugged into a single device and then be played on either headphones or monitors without fiddling with a bunch of settings or swapping a load of cables around. 75% of my focus is music and 75% of my music is played through headphones. I don't mix or anything and I have always preferred my music without any EQ modification at all. Simple straightforward playback as close to the source material as possible is best for me. 

My current thinking is something along the lines of Sennhieser HD 650 with a good tube amp and then working out how to connect all the inputs. But, the more I search the more I question. These things tend to get complicated once you get out of the "normal" consumer level mediocrity. I will be upgrading every component in the system over the next few months as my current equipment is underwhelming. A pair of ATH-M50s are the highest end hardware I have right now... So any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated! 

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 2
  Hey folks,

I am on the hunt for a new setup and need some help. My goal here is to create an entertainment station that I can play anything through with as little hassle as possible.  Ideally my CD, Vinyl, Digital player, TV, ect. could all be plugged into a single device and then be played on either headphones or monitors without fiddling with a bunch of settings or swapping a load of cables around. 75% of my focus is music and 75% of my music is played through headphones. I don't mix or anything and I have always preferred my music without any EQ modification at all. Simple straightforward playback as close to the source material as possible is best for me. 

My current thinking is something along the lines of Sennhieser HD 650 with a good tube amp and then working out how to connect all the inputs. But, the more I search the more I question. These things tend to get complicated once you get out of the "normal" consumer level mediocrity. I will be upgrading every component in the system over the next few months as my current equipment is underwhelming. A pair of ATH-M50s are the highest end hardware I have right now... So any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated! 

Here is what I do. 

I have a preamp that has a tape loop. You hook your headphone amp up to the record out section so that the preamp volume is not in use, just the signal from our source. You are now free to hookup all your sources. In my case I have three inputs and the preamp has a built in tuner, So I can hookup my DAC and two other devices if I so desire. and you also have the pre outs to hookup to speaker amps or powered monitors.

Gives you options. And no need to fiddle with wires etc.

There may be other solutions, but this works for me with both my preamps.. An old Hafler and a less old Adcom.
D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back