Best overall audiophile headphones.
Jul 29, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you wont get audiophile headphones for 200 bucks^^. Ultrasone is the one best suited for electric, but thats sort of it as they're very bassy.

Have you owned any of the Ultrasone headphones or are you just making it up as go?

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you owned any of the Ultrasone headphones or are you just making it up as go?

Gbjerke, you state in other threads that the PXC 450 Senn is your first real headphone, so you feel qualified to comment on the entire Ultrasones' range of sound?
The single biggest problem with this forum is that there are a lot of "experts" that actually trade on other's opinions. The problem with that is that sometimes you simply get it wrong, even in the subjective world of headphones. If you haven't heard them (extensively), don't offer your opinon on how they sound, or what they are suited to. Particularly when you not only state that one particular headphone is only suited to one genre of music, but the whole brand?

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my favorite all-around headphones is the Sennheiser HD-600. You can find a used pair just around $200. You'll be had pressed to find anything better even if you spend hundreds more.

I would go with Uncle Erik's suggestion if you can.
These phones are what the thread title is (for 200ish).

I personally own HD650, but my friend has a pair of HD600 so I've had plenty of time comparing these two side by side.
HD650 has more bass than HD600 which is also stated in the accompanied user manual. You have always the option to use EQ if you need more bass.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go with Uncle Erik's suggestion if you can.
These phones are what the thread title is (for 200ish).

I personally own HD650, but my friend has a pair of HD600 so I've had plenty of time comparing these two side by side.
HD650 has more bass than HD600 which is also stated in the accompanied user manual. You have always the option to use EQ if you need more bass.

Seriously folks! I love the higher end Senns that I've heard (not the HD800 yet T_T), but the OP is running them straight from a soundcard from a PC. Getting an HD600 and then an amp would be terrible! Also, Ultrasones for classical? I don't think that the mid range scoop would befit classical that well. I still think that an Audio Technica, like the AD900 would be the best fit.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #20 of 40
Contrary to belief, an HD600 does indeed sound good without amplification. Of course, they sound better or even much better with it, but even an unamped HD600 will beat the pants off most mid-fi headphones, sound signature preferences aside.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #21 of 40
I think AD700 is a better choice than unamped Senn, though the bass might be a little light for you without a boost or some EQing. Then again, a lot of people are perfectly fine with AD700 bass as is. It's definitely better than it's often made out to be, imho. I also think those would be faster than unamped HD600 for electronica.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #24 of 40
you are looking at up to $200 headphones right?

I go with UncleErik, a used pair of HD600's is a very good start.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #26 of 40
HD555 for a decent open pair of headphones.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #27 of 40
Don't want to Amp anything, I may sacrifice some of my price on the headphones for a new sound card if I have to. Also, the price is meant to include shipping etc. PC case gear used to have $10-15 shipping but now, just for a small item, it's gone to about $20-$25. I'll look into a new retailer too...

Edit.
HD 555...Well it's my first pair of headphones to actually get (well, 2nd pair that is if you include my $15-20 2year old sony headphones). So since this is my real upgrade, I hope I'm making a good decision by going for an expensive pair.

HD 555 it is, not everyday I go looking for headphones in all honesty.

Apparently shipping costs less if I have higher priced items.

Sennheiser HD 555 it is I guess. Only being used with the PC by the way.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It as always depends on what models he listen to. Ultrasone, Sennheiser, AKG all have their bass heavy headphones that´s for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my favorite all-around headphones is the Sennheiser HD-600. You can find a used pair just around $200. You'll be had pressed to find anything better even if you spend hundreds more.

I have a medium-sized head (though not according to my ex-fiancée) and wear glasses. I always found the HD-600 comfortable.

x2. You could also get a used pair of AKG K702 but they aren't quite as comfortable as the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back