Best over ear portable that has similar sound to IE8
Jan 25, 2010 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
OK I was going to go down the path of the IE8 (even ordered one - to bad it was fake!). But I think I am going down the wrong path.

The purpose of this headphone is for work. I am starting to seriously question the use of an IEM in my environment. I work in an IT department and I have to communicate with others in the surrounding cubicles. I also need to focus at times. So I started out wearing IEM's (Monster Turbines) and found they were to isolating. I then tried a pair of ES7 which I liked as they let in a bit more noise but hated their comfort. I also tried a pair of AKG K412P which were not bad but bothered me a bit comfort wise and I found the treble a bit rolled off. I then bought a pair of CKS70 IEM's and enjoyed them ALOT but again found they isolated to much. I am currently using a pair of TF10 and find they still isolate to much. I was prepared to go the IE8 route as they are supposed to not isolate to much but while I had the fake IE8 I did try them in ear and found the are still to isolating.

So long story short, are there any open/semi-open portable headphones that will give me a close approximation to the IE8 sound?

I have been reading and considering:

HD238
ATH-EP700
AKG K420 (concerned this may have the same comfort issues as the K412P as well as possible sound signature)

Am I missing any other portable open/semi open headphones I should consider?

BTW I will not be cranking these loud enough to disturb others so leakage is not a huge concern. Having said that I do not have any Grado/Allesando's on this list as they are a bit too leaky even at lower volumes plus I do not feel they will be able to give me the same bass as the IE8.

I will admit I am leaning towards the Senn HD238 in particular as a few impressions and reviews would point to it being very close to what I am looking for but would love feedback from anyone who has heard both them and the IE8.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 11
nobody have any experience in this?

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 11
If you are looking for headphones which sound close to IE8 then Ultrasone HFI or Pro line are great but first we need to know how much you can spend.........

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Check out Shure SRH750 DJ

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 11
My budget is limited to around $200. I might be able to stretch that a bit but would prefer not to.

Comfort is also a strong consideration for me at well.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the HD25-1's if you've got a $200 budget. you won't buy a better portable!

I would rather get SRH750 DJ. Should be quite a bit better than HD25.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 11
OK I found a solution to my problem. It's not a "Head-fi" recommended solution
wink.gif
, but it appears to do the trick for now.

Just prior to my head-fi journey a little over a year ago. My first aquisition after getting my Ipod Touch was to buy a pair of Bose in-ears, I managed to get them for $65 from a salesman desperate to make a final sale during boxing week. After coming here I fairly quickly moved away from Bose anything LOL.

But I never bothered to resell or give away the phones as I actually used them alot at bedtime because they never bothered my ears and worked quite well for the specialized binaural music I use for sleeping. I woke up today and was getting ready for work and trying to decide which IEM to take and fretting about not being able to find any openback portable phones (PX100 are scarce in my neck of the woods as are HD238's) and I looked over and saw my trusty Bose laying there and thought, "hmmm those don't isolate worth a CR#%!" so I threw them on my Ipod and put my TF10's in my pocket and off I went.

My ears would prefer my TF10's but at least I can now hear the people beside me when they call my name
smily_headphones1.gif
. Plus I never had to spend any of my peso's so I can continue to save for my IE8's
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 11
the EM should be one of the best, and similar as ie8

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 11
not sure what EM stands for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back