best over-ear headphones i can buy to use with a iphone?
Feb 6, 2011 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sy0296

New Head-Fier
previously i've owned a set of ety er4s as well as a set of shure e530pth with a imod and portable amp.  a few years ago i started putting all my music on the iphone and found it too much of a hassle to carry the amp with me everywhere.  

a couple years ago i bought a set of the triplefi 10 and have been using them unamped with the iphone--although sometime i feel it's slightly too bass heavy.  i'm looking for something that provides more comfort since all the IME's hurt my ear about a couple hours.  also want something with a more spacious sound stage than the IME's.  Sound wise, something slightly warm, with good midbass and bass (just not as much as the UE triplefi 10).  Primarily I'll be playing pop, rock, jazz, and classical through these headphone.

i'm not experienced at all with cans and have been going through thousands of reviews for the past couple days...can someone make a good recommendation for a set of over-ear/circumaural + closed-back headphones to used with my iphone.  i will not be using an amp, although eventually i might buy the venturecraft DAP (this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527376/venturecraft-go-dap-design-ingenuity-makes-an-awesome-iphone-rig) when they make a iphone 4 model.

i don't really have a budget but would like to keep it under $1000, although i'll entertain anything up to $1500--of course i don't mind saving a few bucks if you can think of something that sounds great at a lower budget.

i'm really leaning towards the beyerdynamic t5p, but that's a large chunk of change to lay down for something i can't audition first.  also, many reviewer comment that mids and highs are slightly emphasized which is not how I like to listen to music.

help! :)

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi, If I were you I would look at purchasing some jh16's as I think these are the best sound you can get from a portable setup,
but also it is very unlikely that you will have a comfort issue as they are custom moulded to your ears.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 5
JH16 look good and reviews are great, but i'm not looking into getting another set of IME.

my two top contenders right now are the beyerdynamics t5p and ultrasone edition 8.  anything else i should consider?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back