Best over ear headphone for FiiO X7 (mk2) - TH900?
Mar 23, 2018 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JSBachFan

Formerly known as K400Lover
Hello,

I am on a mission for several months now to find the best over ear headphone for the FiiO X7/AM3 combo (X7mk2 / AM3A is on the way but I expect no different result)

My listening preferences are:
I strictly go for the following priorities (highest up):
- foot tapping / engaging / musicality / euphony
- details
- soundstage / instrument separation

I don't really care about ...
- the question whether a headphone has more or less bass / mids / treble

There is quite a list of headphones that I compared with my X7 / AM3 combo:
Audeze X
Audeze XC
AKG K400 (EP)
AKG K500
AKG K501
AKG K550
AKG K701
ATH-A900X
B&W P7
DT660
DT770 Premium 250 Ohms (2005 Version)
DT880
DT990
DT1770
Denon D7200
HD380
HD600
HD800
HD800S
Meze 99
Nightowl
SRH940
TH900 mk2
T1p2
T5p2

There are really engaging headphones like my beloved K400 EP or extremely open and detailed sounding ones like HD800S (HD800 sounded to sharp on X7/AM3) or just very detailed and relaxed like T1p or T5p but nothing is in the league of the TH900 in the overall impression regarding my listening priorities.
So they won against all the ones listed up there hands down.
Tried with different genres that I like: Classical, Jazz, Pop/Rock, Country
They were also as close as you can get to my pretty expensive Linn (only) hifi system.
I heard them the first time 1,5 weeks ago in a day long comparing session at a very nice dealer in Berlin that left me and all his expensive head phones alone for hours. And since that break through experience I have bought two pairs already (for home/work).
They make me addicted like no other headphone ever before.

I know, there are a lot of people loving them, but what I would like to share is my impression that they are really a perfect match for the X7/AM3 combo. And btw. so far I swore you have to go balanced to get the best results. With the TH900 it doesn't matter so much. Also the normal 3.5mm connection is perfectly fine with me.

Does anybody know a fullsize headphone that he thinks is even better than the TH900 and that it is not listed above?
I have the feeling that my mission is over, but who knows?
But it should be X7/AM3 directly. Not with additional amplifiers. Btw. all headphones were easily driven by the AM3, but of course might have sounded better with an external amp.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 4
ok, I will let you know. But it will take a while since relatives bring the X7 mk2 from the US, where it is so much cheaper than in Germany

Sep 24, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 4
I found different ear pads (e.g. Dekoni) and different cables (balanced vs. unbalanced) to show way more differences than swapping between AM3 and AM3A. AM3 vs AM3A to my ears is not a significant change.
I also have a set of X7 Mk1 AM3 with TH900 Mk1 but with balanced 1.7m balanced cable and Dekoni pads.
This is by far the best of my X7 / TH900 sets. I have four sets at different locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back