Best Output Option for 3g iPod
May 31, 2005 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nbourbaki

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm looking for a better connection for my 3g iPod to my vintage Marantz 4270 receiver. I've got a pretty cheap 1/8" mini-stereo to RCA cable that I've been connecting via the headphone out jack on the iPod. I've searched and read many threads debating the merits of the line out versus the headphone jack. Is there any consensus on the quality of the two connnections? How is everyone hooking up to their headphone amps?

The headphone out is convienient since I can control volume from the iPod and I can recharge at the same time.

May 31, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Not necessarily. I think that with line level loads, the two sound pretty much the same when the headphone output is just a bit below maximum volume. (Test Rig)

If you're after optimum quality, by using the iPod headphone out and the volume control on the iPod, at lower volumes you're introducing more hiss and other nasties into the sound as you're amping a weaker signal. Line out provides a predictable and optimum signal without needing to fiddle with the volume (so maybe invest in a remote volume enabled amp?
biggrin.gif
). And if you disconnect the PC from the dock, then you can recharge as you play too.

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by winged creature
the line out will sound alot better

Thanks for the response. What product are you using to get the line out?

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Not necessarily. I think that with line level loads, the two sound pretty much the same when the headphone output is just a bit below maximum volume. (Test Rig)

Nice picture! I've been using my current cheap cable with the iPod at 85-90% max volume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
... so maybe invest in a remote volume enabled amp?
biggrin.gif
).

Can't do that, I just love the old capacitive coupled output on the Marantz. The sound if very tube like, especially in two channel mode (the 4270 is a quadraphonic receiver).

Is the line out from the iPod base 1/8" mini-stereo like the headphone out?

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 7
It costs a little more, but the most elegant option for docking the iPod to a home stereo is an Apple Dock ... powered by an Apple Power Plug . Patch a Dock to Firewire Cable to power your iPod and connect your AUX input on your stereo to the dock using your mini to rca jack.

All you need to do to play your iPod on your stereo then is to drop it in the cradle... no wires to connect and disconnect.

The cheapest way is to just get a Pocket Dock with Line Out a standard firewire cable and an Apple Power Plug. If you wanted to hook up large home headphones, just get a Cmoy headphone amp like the mint tin ones on ebay or the Super Mini Moy.

See ya
Steve

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
It costs a little more, but the most elegant option for docking the iPod to a home stereo is an Apple Dock ... powered by an Apple Power Plug . Patch a Dock to Firewire Cable to power your iPod and connect your AUX input on your stereo to the dock using your mini to rca jack.

All you need to do to play your iPod on your stereo then is to drop it in the cradle... no wires to connect and disconnect.

Thanks for all the responses. I bought a iPod Apple Dock last night. Even with my current el cheapo mini->rca cable the sound is noticably improved. My next project is building a decent cable. I've ordered a couple of Canare F-12 mini plugs. I'm considering of using a double run of Chris VenHaus'
Pulsar wire. In any event, the new setup sounds pretty good right now. Thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back