Best Options for Winamp Use
May 24, 2008 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MikalCarbine257

Head-Fier
I started doing some research today on whether or not to use the equalizer in winamp. I came across a few results but it was polar opinions. Could anyone care to shed a little more light on this? Are there EQ plugins that could be alternatives to the default Winamp one? I'd prefer sticking with winamp over foobar because of the advanced library.

Are there any other plugins or tweaks I could use? I am running windows Vista and tried ASIO but I would get choppy/crackly playback. Are there any other plugins I should try other than the default direct sound.dll?

I am using Daniel_K Modded drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS (
rolleyes.gif
) with my DT770 Pro 80ohms. I plan on getting a new soundcard soon but for now I figured I'd tweak my audio program
smily_headphones1.gif

Any input is appeciated

May 24, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Free Electri-Q (posihfopit) for Winamp could be worth to try (maybe they have improved the preset functionality).

Also, VST and DX support which are available for winamp too through winamp DSP plugins may offer you a wide range of other DSP possibilities ...

Check my signature and KVR effects database.

jiitee

May 25, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 9
I'll check that out, thanks

Could you provide somewhere I can learn about DSP and what not? I am using an Audigy 2 ZS and I'm not sure if it supports this, etc

May 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 9
I think the Google is the best way to learn 'bout DSP (Digital Signal Processing), and the subfields in this case would be audio signal processing.

DSP/audio signal processing is not card/hardware specific functionality but is done (in this case) software wise either realtime or in a separate process. As you might know already, your Audigy card has a DSP chip onboard already for EAX/CMSS processing.

For playback purposes only, there are not many usable plug-in "types" available ...

jiitee

May 25, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 9
You may want to look at the KX project drivers for your Audigy 2, they contain many,many DSP effects as they were written by musicians for other musicians. They were intended for recording audio but are great for listening to music. They have No EAX for games...
They sound great though and are a great way to learn about signal flow input and output and DSP effects to some extent. They have a steep learning curve and take a while to learn to use them very good. They are definitely worth the time investment.

May 26, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 9
I did some research into DSP's, thanks for the links

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to look at the KX project drivers for your Audigy 2, they contain many,many DSP effects as they were written by musicians for other musicians. They were intended for recording audio but are great for listening to music. They have No EAX for games...
They sound great though and are a great way to learn about signal flow input and output and DSP effects to some extent. They have a steep learning curve and take a while to learn to use them very good. They are definitely worth the time investment.

The problem is that I use EAX in many of the games I play
frown.gif
Elsewise I'd love to try these. I've been reading up a lot on graphic equalizers and I've been playing with them for a bit. Some people may not use equalizers but I loveeee highs and treble
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going to find some other plugins to enhance. I also realized the winamp forums are a huge knowledge base, I'll look further there also.

Thanks for the help

May 26, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Just thought I'd post some of what I've learned/done for tweaks on my winamp:

I downloaded AudioBurst FX System v2.10, it's pretty much an advanced equalizer with a spectrum analyzer and some other gizmos, either way it sounds good.

I also downloaded a different MP3 decoder for winamp, its the mpg123 by Shibatch

I stumbled across this guide which helps configuring some of the default/3rd party plugins for winamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back