Best options for closed back portable headphones
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bluebair

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, excuse me if there is already a thread for this. I just wanted to compile a list of good options for easier to drive closed headphones. Can be on ear or over ear, can be any sound signature, and any price range, although I feel that there are lots of info for sub $200, so above that is best.

I personally am looking for good contenders for a portable use, easy to drive, over ear that is very comfortable, and has the best SQ possible with those requirements (price doesnt matter)

Although as said before just compiling a list of all good options would come in handy for many people out there, any info about the headphone you suggest would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 7
In my opinion, the absolute best for closed back is the Sony MDR-Z1R. (They just provide the most detail and best/widest soundstage out of all the closed back headphones I have listened to), they are also very easy (too easy in my opinion) to drive, I wouldn't recommend those outside the house or the office however, they are meant for low noise environments as they only provide average isolation, they don't leak much noise however, making them perfect for office listenings.

The following are no slouch however (from better sounding to worse, although that's subjective and some of those have very different sound signatures):
Audeze LCD-XC
Audeze LCD-2C
Sennheiser HD820
Focal Elegia
Sony MDR-Z7 (the MDR-Z7M2 probably sound better but I have personally never had the chance to listen to those)

The Audeze ones are more suited for outdoor listening as they provide a better isolation than most of the others in the list, however if what you are looking for is a good listening experience in a noisy environment, then I strongly suggest you start looking into IEMs or instead (or even active noise canceling headphones if you can cope with a worse/artificial sound signature)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 7
In my opinion, the absolute best for closed back is the Sony MDR-Z1R. (They just provide the most detail and best/widest soundstage out of all the closed back headphones I have listened to), they are also very easy (too easy in my opinion) to drive, I wouldn't recommend those outside the house or the office however, they are meant for low noise environments as they only provide average isolation, they don't leak much noise however, making them perfect for office listenings.

The following are no slouch however (from better sounding to worse, although that's subjective and some of those have very different sound signatures):
Audeze LCD-XC
Audeze LCD-2C
Sennheiser HD820
Focal Elegia
Sony MDR-Z7 (the MDR-Z7M2 probably sound better but I have personally never had the chance to listen to those)

The Audeze ones are more suited for listening as they provide a better isolation than most of the others in the list, however if what you are looking for is a good listening experience in a noisy environment, then I strongly suggest you start looking into IEMs or instead (or even active noise canceling headphones if you can cope with a worse/artificial sound signature)

These are also on my personal list. I did pick up the Sony MDR-Z7M2 and I'm still getting a feeling for them. But for me, I think they work well. I'm very much interested in the Focal Elegia. I have a trip to France planned for very early Spring 2019. I've sort of told myself I may have to pick up a pair of the Elegia's in country. Alas, so much fantastic gear out there.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Amiron wireless seems pretty cool. Sound signature isn't harsh like many other beyers. Bassy, Warm Down tilted midrange with bounce back in the treble. Can be used passive mode or bluetooth. It is plenty efficient. 32ohm and 100db/mw leading to its generous battery life. Comfort is like any full sized beyer. Again can be used passively if you are purist.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Ill add in a couple that I've heard and liked for the most part.

Sennheiser momentum $350: more like an on ear, and sparkly, crisp highs from what I remember.

Meze 99 classics $310: warm, natural sound. Great mids, great highs. No complaints except its a little too flashy for me to wear out and about.

V-moda m100 $250: great headphone for bass heads. Elevated bass, recessed mids, and a little bit of sparkle in the highs. Great detail retrieval for the price. A little uncomfortable for me, and a little too bass centered.

Also I have heard the sony mdr1a/mdr1am2 are great for the price and are very comfortable.

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 7
Campfire Cascade is a great pair of closed back headphones and they are portable. Excellent build quality, and the sound is pretty balanced overall, with a bit of emphasis on the bass.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 7
I am really interested in the egelia and the sony z7m2. I might end up picking up some campfire andromedas and a sony mdr1am2 sometime soon. Then ill cover all bases. Ill probably upgrade the closed pair somewhere down the road. And by then I might even have a decent DAP or a lgv30/v40 or whatever is out by then that can power some higher impedance headphones on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back