best optional portable amp for sennhieser ie8?
May 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mayajoe

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
Im new to this site and loving it.

Im not an audiophile but working my way in that direction as i know im gonna love experimenting making my sounds much better!

I have asked to a couple of people here on the site if they can tell me whats the most suitable portable amp for the sennhiesers IE8.
The general consensus is the Ibasso D10 Cobra. However, got a message from ibasso and they say they are HOPING for later this month.
But this cannot be confirmed. Is there another choice? and if so whats the next option.

Many thanks.

Im sitting on an ipod classic 160GB with the IE8s.

Thanks to all who responds in advance.

May 6, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 7
To be honest, I don't think the IE8 really benefits much from amplification. I use mine out of a Cowon S9, which does have a fairly high power output for a portable, but comparing S9 > IE8 to S9 > Pico > IE8, I couldn't tell much of a difference.

It seems to benefit from a cool-to-neutral sounding source/amp, with good dynamics and frequency extension, as the IE8 is naturally slightly dark and rich. Both my Pico and S9 pair well with it in that sense, as they're both tonally lean and accurate.

May 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks covenant for your imput. And to be honest, I think your right with the D10 as I cant really hear a big difference. It May be me but i was hoping for a little more in the midrange.
The D10 does give a bit more in the mids but no significant for me to notice. Having said that i I guess i need to put im some burn hours and then get to mess with the stock op amps.

May 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 7
What one hears or not is, obviously, personal. Hence, whether to amp or not, my view is that if one can hear a meaningful improvement, by all means, do it, otherwise don't bother. Trust your own ears.

BTW, an amp only makes sense if the signal is taken from the line-out or from the output of a DAC.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 7
meier corda 3move, iqube or pico ... choose one
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back