Best option, hopefully around $200 or less for college?
Sep 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Skyr795

New Head-Fier
I've previously had the HD-25 and the Grado SR80i, but I'm looking for something with a more "neutral" or "analytical" sound that goes with most genres. Whether it's over-the-ear or in-ear is not as important to me as the sound. It should be portable enough to take places though. The two options I have been considering after coming back to the forums without visiting for around a year, are the DBA-02 and DT1350, as I recall both of those were highly recommended. Now that both of them have coincidentally been redesigned, does anyone know if they are still leaders in their price ranges and categories? If so, which should I go for? If not, what are some alternatives? I will be running them straight through an iPhone 4S or Macbook most likely, without amplification. Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 11
The redesign of the DT1350 is a little bit bigger pads, headband comfort improvement, and I believe a cable change. So yes. Still an excellent choice :)

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 11
hd598

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 11
Have you seen these Innerfidelity Wall of Fame lists?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Each item in the list generally links to a full review.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Hello!

Those Grado headphones you own have a relatively analytical sound actually. For neutral headphone, I suggest you to look into PSB M4U1

Just a side note, the HD598 are not at all neutral to my ears. Rolled off at both end with a forward mids but it's an awesome pair of headphone for reference use definitely not for on the go as it leaks sound!

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 11
SOUND MAGIC HP 100

Mine just came in and it's AWESOME. Comes with it's own carrying case, works with EVERY GENRE, Detachble cable :O even better the headphone case has a CLIP that you can attach to your own book bag! And they don't need an amp!

For $200 new I'd say BUY THEM THEY ARE AWESOME 

The AKG K550 is also another good option, although those are best if you 
1) have a big head
2) have a small mouth
3) do not have a lot muscle around your neck and shoulders

If you meet all three of those, the K550 are some of the best sounding in the sub 200 I have heard, although the wacky fit makes them not usable  for every one  and in every situation. [But MAN they do sound GOOD so it's worth the risk to buy and TRY] 

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 11
Sure it's not that first bite of chocolate love, the one that will wain a little with the 2nd bite
wink.gif

Sorry. I can't resist
biggrin.gif

Yea the K550 where first bit o chocolate 

I started eating with them on... then I started to look around with them on... then I started to breathe with them one... now they are sold <3 

But the k550 sounded wonderful! I learned over time that yes moving with them sucked [my ears don't decieve me ever... but my face does] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back