Best option for moving all music to the cloud?
Dec 26, 2018 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks in advance for reading:

I have a fairly large digital audio library that ranges in quality (50% in 256-320 and the rest in LOSSLESS or FLAC).
All of it currently sits in a home computer, is accessed via iTunes and is backed up on Dropbox and various hard drives.
Since I use an Android, I use Google Play on my phone and Laptop when on the go.

Id like to be able to access all of my music, in its current/saved format, from all of my devices.

Been using with Google Play but I find the user interface frustrating to say the least. I guess I could just get iTunes cloud but then I can't access that from my Android (unless there is some workaround I am unaware of).

Any ideas/alternatives here would be most welcome.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 3
Something like Plex media server might do what you want. Rather than move your library to the cloud ("cloud" is just storage/service on someone else's computer), you could potentially keep you media where it's at, and provide remote access to your mobile devices via Plex. Several caveats here... first, unless you have a static public IP, you may want a dynamic DNS service that maps your dynamic public IP to a static hostname so that you can consistently reach your home network if/when your ISP changes your IP. Also, opening up a port for remote access to a service on your home network carries some amount of security risk - firewall(s), network segregation, strong account passwords, regular software updates, and other security best practices should apply if you try this route. If you have a bit of networking experience and an edge firewall capable of doing this, an alternative to exposing the Plex service port to the public would be to setup a VPN service at your network edge. Then, you could VPN into your home network with your mobile devices and still reach the Plex service (though, to be honest, if you setup a VPN, Plex is likely an unnecessary additional layer - you could just directly access the files at that point). Hope so of that helps.

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Something like Plex media server might do what you want. Rather than move your library to the cloud ("cloud" is just storage/service on someone else's computer), you could potentially keep you media where it's at, and provide remote access to your mobile devices via Plex. Several caveats here... first, unless you have a static public IP, you may want a dynamic DNS service that maps your dynamic public IP to a static hostname so that you can consistently reach your home network if/when your ISP changes your IP. Also, opening up a port for remote access to a service on your home network carries some amount of security risk - firewall(s), network segregation, strong account passwords, regular software updates, and other security best practices should apply if you try this route. If you have a bit of networking experience and an edge firewall capable of doing this, an alternative to exposing the Plex service port to the public would be to setup a VPN service at your network edge. Then, you could VPN into your home network with your mobile devices and still reach the Plex service (though, to be honest, if you setup a VPN, Plex is likely an unnecessary additional layer - you could just directly access the files at that point). Hope so of that helps.

Although am looking for a slightly less complex solution, I very much appreciate this comprehensive reply and will definitely look into this.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back