Best option for gaming/music?
Apr 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
Id swap opamps more often but with dual GPU´s and the EMI shielding its a bit of a pain to keep swapping em out LOL 
Just dug my old box out and it says (near the barcode) a bunch of numbers lol then "Rev C" after
Not sure if there is any other way to find out, could probably tell what batch it was in somehow with a little googling via numbers on the PB

*grabs the box, looks near the barcodes* "0B PN PL31SB1270001 Rev C"

Now I see what you mean. Are there any shots of boxes that have anything else for a revision letter out there?

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + FiiO E9 + headphones of your choice (can't comment on either Beyerdynamic model since I've tried neither). I have yet to find a better sound card with gaming in mind, so long as you're only using stereo headphones or speakers (no analog surround channels)...well, there's the Onkyo SE-300PCIE, but that's never going to leave Japan at this rate.

You might be able to do without the E9 amp and just run your headphones off the sound card directly, but if you're willing to pay up for some good gear, I don't think it's that much added expense.

The Xonar DG is a great bang-for-the-buck budget option, but if you want the very best and can pay for it, it's not what you're looking for.

I second the X-Fi Titanium HD recommendation. There is simply no soundcard that can match its gaming prowess It can hold its own in terms of music quite well, at least on par with the Essence STX, but the latter has gaming audio support as an afterthought.
External DACs, by definition, have no gaming or virtual surround features, which makes them inadequate for gaming.

FiiO E9 is a good suggestion indeed, with a viable alternative being the Objective2.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 27
I put the JRC 2114Ds back in.

The LME49860NAs in those sockets boosted the bass around 30 Hz, maybe a bit of the treble too, but that could have also contributed to a recessed-sounding midrange. I can't have that; I like my vocals prominent, and if it makes even the SR-Lambda deficient in the midrange without EQ, the frequency balance must be really skewed.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
that would be true if he was console gaming...but a soundcard such as any X-Fi with CMSS-3D will beat out the Mixamp easy! (I have have/had both!) DT770´s are probably your best bet for gaming and music (if bass is important to you which with the genres you posted I think will be)...with any X-Fi soundcard your gaming needs will be very much met IMO 

Its a matter of preference between Dolby Surround and CMSS-3D but i prefer the later so would natrually reccomend a Creative card over an Asus...read a few reviews to try and be better informed! 

On Windows XP I might agree, but this is 2012 and EAX is dead. The Creative advantage just doesn't exist on Vista/Windows7 like it did on earlier versions of Windows. Notice the absence of Creative logos on modern games? It hasn't been a selling point for some time. However, I think there is some benefit with OpenAL game engines . . . assuming said game is CPU and not GPU limited. Of course, if we are talking OpenAL, then ASUS is probably the better option as it directly supports OpenAL - which hasn't always been the case with Creative.  As for music sound quality (remember the OPs 50% use case?), at least a couple models of the ASUS Xonar line have got some pretty good reviews from no one less than John Atkinson. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss ASUS.

As to Dolby Surround versus CMSS-3D with headphones for gaming . . . I disagree completely. You are entitled to your opinion of course. Please allow for the possibility that those with differing opinions might be just as informed as you are. 

While the OP didn't explicitly mention console gaming, I don't know too many PC gamers that don't also own at least one console. Thus the mix amp's versatility might prove useful in ways an internal PC sound card never can.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
On Windows XP I might agree, but this is 2012 and EAX is dead. The Creative advantage just doesn't exist on Vista/Windows7 like it did on earlier versions of Windows. Notice the absence of Creative logos on modern games? It hasn't been a selling point for some time. However, I think there is some benefit with OpenAL game engines . . . assuming said game is CPU and not GPU limited. Of course, if we are talking OpenAL, then ASUS is probably the better option as it directly supports OpenAL - which hasn't always been the case with Creative.  As for music sound quality (remember the OPs 50% use case?), at least a couple models of the ASUS Xonar line have got some pretty good reviews from no one less than John Atkinson. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss ASUS.

As to Dolby Surround versus CMSS-3D with headphones for gaming . . . I disagree completely. You are entitled to your opinion of course. Please allow for the possibility that those with differing opinions might be just as informed as you are. 

While the OP didn't explicitly mention console gaming, I don't know too many PC gamers that don't also own at least one console. Thus the mix amp's versatility might prove useful in ways an internal PC sound card never can.

Incorrect on several fronts. You might think EAX is dead, just like countless people who don't know better and tie EAX with DirectSound3D. Or people who think game EAX is the same as multimedia EAX, or even people that are completely unaware that separate features of several EAX specs are spread and used all over, without specific indication, precisely to favor the less gaming audio capable cards, such as all cards made by Asus. But that's a subject for another discussion.

Your second mistake is stating wrong information regarding Asus and OpenAL. Asus only has software OpenAL support, the same as a measly onboard audio chip, while Creative and Creative licensed chips are the only products that support hardware OpenAL.

Third, there isn't any internal soundcard made by Asus that outperforms Creative's top card, namely each consumer flagship product, the Asus Xonar Essence STX and the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD.

Dolby Headphone (not "Surround") and CMSS-3D are similar techs with rather different implementations. I don't consider any to be better than the other, rather than different sounding with rather similar results.

Mixamp is a low quality product, easily beaten by even an average internal soundcard, and the only useful field for the Mixamp is consoles alone, therefore it's very much non recommended.

Before you come here and post uninformed statements, I advise you to do your research prior to posting.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

I clearly said it was a matter of personal preferance with CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphone! Just the mixamp sounds like a toy next to my Ti HD, and he also said he wants 50% audio...and no one should have to listen to thier music through the mixamp LOL, one of the most over hyped and over priced things i have ever bought! (the mixamp that is)

Oh and BTW  always have my EAX turned off in settings! 

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
I clearly said it was a matter of personal preferance with CMSS-3D and Dolby Headphone! Just the mixamp sounds like a toy next to my Ti HD, and he also said he wants 50% audio...and no one should have to listen to thier music through the mixamp LOL, one of the most over hyped and over priced things i have ever bought! (the mixamp that is)

Oh and BTW  always have my EAX turned off in settings! 

Let's look at it strictly through the OP's budget perspective. If cards like the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and Asus Xonar Essence STX prices are an option, then going with something of a lower tier makes absolutely no sense. It's really that simple.

Going with a Xonar DX or an Auzentech X-Fi Forte would still outclass a Mixamp, they just belong to different tiers.

And it should be noted that when you say you have EAX turned off, it's the multimedia EAX from the Creative control panel, right?

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's look at it strictly through the OP's budget perspective. If cards like the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and Asus Xonar Essence STX prices are an option, then going with something of a lower tier makes absolutely no sense. It's really that simple.

Going with a Xonar DX or an Auzentech X-Fi Forte would still outclass a Mixamp, they just belong to different tiers.

And it should be noted that when you say you have EAX turned off, it's the multimedia EAX from the Creative control panel, right?

Yup...from control panel..sometimes play in Audio creation with bit perfect playback as some games dont like it when you play with settings so running as close to the source sound is the better option not for positional but how clear the sound is, (makes it more immersive IMO)

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
Yup...from control panel..sometimes play in Audio creation with bit perfect playback as some games dont like it when you play with settings so running as close to the source sound is the better option not for positional but how clear the sound is, (makes it more immersive IMO)

Well, there's two types of EAX settings we need to be mindful of in Creative's control panels.

-There's a checkbox for enabling/disabling EAX effects, and a slider next to it. This slider should remain at 0.0db, and it should remain enabled in case it disables game EAX effects too. I certainly don't hear a difference with it off when listening to music.
-There are also drop-down boxes with a bunch of room presets. These are what need to be left off. Otherwise, you get a ridiculous amount of reverb/chorus/etc. effects added to every sound the computer makes.

Come to think of it, I need to add this detail to my PC gaming audio guide...

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #25 of 27
No need to play elitist and downplay the Mixamp. It's the best you can get for consoles and SQ is decent. "Toy" and "overhyped" is an uninformed aggressive statement. Of course, for PC nothing beats STX and Titanium HD. 

Anyway, 20k2's future might be bright with Windows 8 as it brings back "DS3D"-type hardware processing through DirectX but I am sure Creative will bring out something new to the market instead of supporting the "old", making us upgrade again.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
No need to play elitist and downplay the Mixamp. It's the best you can get for consoles and SQ is decent. "Toy" and "overhyped" is an uninformed aggressive statement. Of course, for PC nothing beats STX and Titanium HD. 

Anyway, 20k2's future might be bright with Windows 8 as it brings back "DS3D"-type hardware processing through DirectX but I am sure Creative will bring out something new to the market instead of supporting the "old", making us upgrade again.

Sorry if i came accross rude but a little confussed as not once has the OP mentioned consoles thats why I am getting confussed with why you recommended it as compared with the Ti HD it is in fact a toy...music sounds horrific from it...and positional audio is also blurry next to the Ti HD with it also being quite expensive at the same time! 

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
Quote:

Well, there are a few reasons I prefer to use Game Mode, from enabling the DSP to do partial or full audio pipeline offload, enabling full EAX support in hardware, and improving all audio from hardware supported audio renderers. Do keep in mind that I most certainly understand what you mean about having clearer audio over improved positional accuracy, but by not using virtual surround techs like CMSS-3D or DH (for Asus cards), you get much clearer audio with still good imaging for games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back