Best openback headphones for fps games
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #16 of 19
The age isn't as important as the way they were cared for. The pads should still be good, perhaps needing some dusting (often just using scotch tape will be enough).
The main problem with the 800 is perhaps cosmetic: The silver paint is pretty lame and flakes easily if they are banged against stuff. I've seen very few older 800 without a single mark, but some are in very good shape, almost no scratches.

Unless the seller was very careful with it, expect some scratches. Shouldn't be totally trashed, tho.
Drivers/Cable/Plug shouldn't have any problems unless they were handled by someone very sloppy.

I've been running them a lot with an iFi Black Label. The XBass+ works pretty well with some tracks. Adds quite a bit of body to the 800 without adding bass distortion. The Valhalla might work quite well, but I haven't heard that combo.
Thanks for the info mate. One last thing though..I read a few places, that the treble on the 800s tend to be a little bright/harsh, your view on this? I sold my beyerdynamics, cause of their harsh treble.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #17 of 19
I have the AKG Q701 for gaming and music. You won't hear the bass as much

Been using it for Overwatch, and it's very good at directional placement.

I also just picked up the Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons and trying them out as a replacement for gaming. They will replace my Q701 for music guaranteed.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 19
My favorite gaming headphones are my Hifiman HE-X V2, which you can find used under your budget. Huge soundstage, great bass, easy to drive. I own most of the "great" gaming headphones, and the HEX eat them all.

You should really check out Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming thread (in the gaming section).

As for a DAC/Amp, I highly recommend the SoundBlaster X7, which has a virtual surround sound (SBX), that does a great job creating a 3D sound field. It also has RCA outputs so you can connect ANY headphone amp and still get VSS through it. It has built in EQ, adjustable levels for the amount of surround sound effect, bass boost, etc. There is a thread dedicated to it, and the first post covers it's full abilities very well.

IMO, the HD650 is one of the worst headphones for surround gaming I've heard. It isn't terrible, I've just heard enough headphones that were better.

Good luck, check the threads I mentioned, they're very informative and you'll learn a ton!

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 19
I never tried it with gaming but I bet the OPPO pm1 would be great. Better bass and resolution than the 650. I own the 650 right now. It's great for because the treble is tame. I would get something similar like the pm1. They are really dynamic and comfortable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back