Best open over ear headphones in my situation?
Aug 24, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #31 of 82
It's funny but the HD800 (and 660) will likely outlast everything else on your list. Can't speak for the Drop variant.

And if you like the Ananda and have to A/B vs. the HE1000 v2, I'd stop right there and just get a new Ananda.
I like the Ananda for $700, doesn't mean they are better than top $1000+ options.

Aug 24, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #32 of 82
I'm glad you guys say that HD800 are not as bad as their build quality looks.
Because I was thinking that even if they win sound-wise I'd be hesitant to keep them because of the build quality.
Can anyone else confirm HD800 last long well? Anyone using them for 5+ years every day (I normally use my headphones every day for a few hours)?

Aug 24, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #33 of 82
HD8xx drop is pretty bad attempt to fix what wasn't broken. As for the quality, it might not look like much (all plastic) but well designed, lightweight and can take some abuse.
You need to check HD800S or HD800 with SDR mode if you can find them in used market.
I'm considering both options - the original HD800 and the clone from DROP. I was able to listen to both of them yesterday. Didn't catch the sound difference reliably, the build looks identical except the logos.

Aug 24, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #34 of 82
I like the Ananda for $700, doesn't mean they are better than top $1000+ options.
But yeah, if I decide that the sound difference is miniscule I may save some bucks and just get the Ananda.
What I liked in them, is that they sound closer to top $1000+ options than to cheaper top <$700 options.

Aug 24, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #35 of 82
Check Resolve's ranking list, it's one man opinion of course, but still might help you navigate a bit better during your research.

My personal pick would be LCD-X 2021, it's more well rounded for the variety of genres you listed.
I was able to briefly test all in my list except Focal Clear.
Quick impressions:
HD800/Drop + HD8xx - the WIDEEEEST sound scene. The WORST build quality.
Audeze LCD-X - perhaps the best tonal balance (or whatever is called, like when a drum can sound higher or warmer) to my ear
HIFIMAN Ananda - perhaps the best for $700. Lowest price headphones that are able to offer a significant improvement from the other cheaper headphones. Like the entrance to the world of the top audio.
Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro - good for $500, but I would probably add $200 for HIFIMAN Ananda
Beyerdynamic T1 - bad sound, maybe they didn't warm up yet or I got a bad pair
Sennheiser HD 660S - outsiders in this list together with Beyerdynamic T1
HIFIMAN HE1000 v2 - got them at home now, seems like my amplifier is able to drive them alright, listened very briefly, very good sound, but need more listening to say more.
I'm going to 5th or 6th (or whatever) the LCD-X 2021. Used here on HF, they are in the $800ish range delivered.

I bought from a Head-Fi sponsor, they have the LCD and HIFIMAN on your list, with a 365 day return policy. They also shipped overnight. Yes, it was retail $, but the overnight shipping was included, 365 day return policy, and didn't charge tax for my order when I placed it (nor for a DAP purchase). You'd only be at ~half budget. They are a little heavy, but I'm used to them now. Build quality is top notch to me (little to no plastic).

I drive the LCD-X 2021 from an iBasso DX320, a G&W desktop tube amp (mediocre at best) and a Schiit Jotunheim 2 desktop amp. All have plenty power, and even enough low end for my ears. I listen to anything from rock to metal to classical to country to pop to.....almost anything but RAP/EDM.

Aug 24, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #36 of 82
@hartphoto can you please share a link where I can buy them if I decide to?
Glad to see Schiit in your gear. I recently was able to test their Schiit Magni Heresy amplifier. I was impressed with how it performed for $125.

Aug 24, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #37 of 82
@hartphoto can you please share a link where I can buy them if I decide to?
Glad to see Schiit in your gear. I recently was able to test their Schiit Magni Heresy amplifier. I was impressed with how it performed for $125.
Likely headphones.com

Open Box items are usually final sale.

Aug 24, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #38 of 82
Aug 24, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #39 of 82
Likely headphones.com

Open Box items are usually final sale.
They have good open box deals from time to time...

But, my brain wants the return policy on big ticket purchases like this though, so retail it was (and next day delivery with no sales tax was a huge win also).

I went through a similar list to @PoorBastard back in early June.

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #40 of 82
Guys, so far HIFIMAN HE1000 v2 are leading (actually both HIFIMANs are leading, closely followed by HD800S), but they are a little too bright to my taste. How do I make them warmer? Just reduce the high frequencies?

So far HIFIMAN HE1000 v2, HIFIMAN Ananda & Sennheiser HD800S are far ahead from the rest imho. Price/sound quality ratio is by far the best from HIFIMAN Ananda.
Hopefully, I will be able to finish testing & make a decision in a couple of days.

Considering how well HIFIMAN perform, maybe I should try their another model as well, for example, HIFIMAN Arya.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #41 of 82
Guys, so far HIFIMAN HE1000 v2 are leading (actually both HIFIMANs are leading, closely followed by HD800S), but they are a little too bright to my taste. How do I make them warmer? Just reduce the high frequencies?

So far HIFIMAN HE1000 v2, HIFIMAN Ananda & Sennheiser HD800S are far ahead from the rest imho. Price/sound quality ratio is by far the best from HIFIMAN Ananda.
Hopefully, I will be able to finish testing & make a decision in a couple of days.

Considering how well HIFIMAN perform, maybe I should try their another model as well, for example, HIFIMAN Arya.
The arya stealth is indeed very good! I prefer quite abit more than the ananda, especially in the bass region. I dont think its better than the he1000v2 though. Would you mind using eq?

For your needs.....from my experience you will thoroughly enjoy the ZMF aeolus IMO

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #42 of 82
Its hard to go wrong with any ZMF.

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #43 of 82
Just surprised that you have managed to audition so many phones in a short period of time.
Most phones need some head time to hear them right and let brain adjust (infamous brain burn in), flipping between in a quick succession only let contrast one against the other.
What you call too bright now, will be norm to you in a day or two.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #44 of 82
Being that you like the two Hifimans soo much, I would definitely try the Arya Stealth as it sits in the the sweet spot in-between the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back