Best open or close headphones /600 ohms for 600 dollars
Mar 13, 2017 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chuck Canada

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I recently posted a thread that I am looking for closed back cans within the 600$ or less range, after doing some looking around I decided to make a different thread to get more specific answers that might help me out more.

First off I am not using these headphones anywhere except at my computer, they will be hooked up to a 250-600ohm desktop amp that runs off of my soundcard in my computer. So really 250-600 ohm is a must.

I have done some research and realize that I do not need closed back headphones to get good decent low end bass and a warm sound, many open back headphones have good low end bass and a warm sound as well so I guess closed back verses open back doesn't really matter.

Compared to the current headphones that I am using ''Beyerdynamix DT990-600ohm'' I would like a warmer sound with the mids more up front and quite a bit more punchy low frequency bass.  

Comfort isn't an issue, portability is not an issue either, neither is cord length. I have other headphones for going out of the house so these will likely never leave my desk just like my headphones I have now. 

If I cant find anything in the 250-600 ohm range I might bypass my desktop amp and run with a new pair of Meze 99 headphones since I do think they have the sound range I am going for but they lack impedance. 

And lastly a great thanks goes out to doctorjazzkendavisgreenkiwialies for the info in the other thread. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 5
We can assume your connecting the desktop amp to the motherboard's on-board audio?
Make and model of motherboard and desktop amp?

I though my DT990 Premium 600-Ohm have more then enough bass for just about anyone's taste, but you want more bass?

Currently my preferred headphone for all audio is the Beyerdynamic T90, like the clarity.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 5
  No I don't use my motherboards sound I have a sound card it is just an Asus Xonar DG, desktop amp is a Fiio E09K. 

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DG?
Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

I would assume for the Xonar DG to feed the best analog audio signal to the E09K, you would set the Xonar DG's Analog Output to 2-channel, Speaker output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back