Best open non-amp headphones for ambient music? ($150-$350)
May 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sagitta

New Head-Fier
Pardon me if this has been discussed before and redirect me to the appropriate thread if that's the case, i am new here and couldn't find any thread about this subject.

Anyway, i am looking for an open headphones for my ambient needs (Steve Roach etc..). I owned a Sony MDR-7509 for some time and althought they are very good for more Dubby/ Techno sounds (Heavy bass), i was after something more airy and spacious to chill with. I read a lot about the AD700/900 and they sounds quite suitable but i cannot somehow convince myself about the price difference, especially here in the UK where the AD900 is about £100 to £150 more than the AD700. As i mostly listen to Instrumentals/Electronic music, vocals is not a focal point. If the 900 is that much better even for electronic music then i would consider it.

But then i might be missing on some other headphones/brand hence i am asking for some recommendations. Thanks.

May 6, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 12
I would put some budget amount in the title, so folks can see if this something they can advice/share, just make it easier, nothing more...
wink.gif

May 6, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 12
While they're on the high side of your budget (even used, I think but I don't know prices off the top of my head) you might also check out the Sony MDR-SA5000 as its pretty highly regarded for the type of music you mention. Soundstage also seems to be one of the foremost strengths people mention. I don't have any personal experience with it (although it does sound like a headphone that I would like).

May 6, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm into Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana or Bass Communion and through my HFI780 they sound absolutely brilliant. If owned them only for a few days and they are still burning in 24/7 so it can only get better! With these on you'll even save some money for candy
biggrin.gif

Edit: but these are closed cans! Sorry.

May 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I'm into Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana or Bass Communion and through my HFI780 they sound absolutely brilliant

Hey, glad to hear from someone who enjoy similar artists. If i am not mistaken the HFI780 is a closed headphones, no? As i mentioned, i already owned the closed Sony MDR7509 for a few years. I just wanted to go for an open headphones for the more atmospheric sounds. Spaciousness and headstage are some of the more important aspect i am looking for as well as sound quality of course.

Reading about the MDR-SA5000 right now....

May 6, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 12
I've just own sony MDR-SA1000 , and i'd say they shine for classic, instrumental and even vocal if needed. Pleasently detailed with a really great soundstage witch is the best particularity of these phones.But I must admit that when i first audition em ( after buying ) , i kinda freaked out about how less dynamic they felt comparing my closed cans.it first scare me but more i listen to them , more i appreciate em for accoustical music , being probably from now on, my phones for this genre.
That being said , the SA5000 recommendation must be more then reliable !! I would go for em without hesitation.

The little "con" for SA1000 though is the cheap feeling in hands.... Maybe not the best build ever !
frown.gif

May 6, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Love Bass Communion as well
smily_headphones1.gif
Some will disagree with me, but I love my Grado SR80 for ambient/drone kind of music. I've heard some say they think the Grado's are too forward for ambient, but personally they are my go to headphones for this style.

May 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 12
AD700s are pretty amazing. You will be hard pressed to find a pair of cans with a soundstage like them that doesn't cost a good deal more. If soundstage is a big deal to you, then AD700s will be better than the AD900s from the reviews I have read. The 900s will be more accurate and detailed, but from what I have seen, they have a lesser soundstage than the 700s. But I have not heard the 900s myself, so take what I say worth a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back