Best Open Headphones?
Mar 8, 2002 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KentWang

New Head-Fier
I already got a V6 w/ the Beyer pads and I need an open pair for when I need to hear my enemies' ninja agents sneaking up on me. Any suggestions? Search turned up a whole lot of indecisive posts.

Something under $100. I want to use it for my portable MD player, so I'd prefer models that don't require amps. But then again, just how bulky is an amp? If it isn't too bulky, I might be cool with them.

Mar 8, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Dude, all those posts were like "dude, I don't know, it depends, man." Maybe it was just the posts I saw.

Mar 8, 2002 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 10
but, dude, thats because it does depend.

it's pretty easy tho, there are a couple of cans that are somewhat equal, but differ entirely in character.

Philips HP890
Senn HD497
Grado sr80

thats somewhat from relaxed to agressive, pick your pick.

Mar 8, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 10
The Philips HP890 is easily powered without an amp, but it is not a portable headphone. It is too big to walk around with for sure, and even taking it to the library will earn you stares.

It's pretty good though
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Grados also aren't really good for portability. I think I just posted this a day ago but here again, from the big stiff cords to the free rotating drivers(which everyone else can hear just as well as you) sr-80s are just not good for portable headphones.

They do look cool though, I wore them around for a couple of days before i got some good portable phones and got a lot of looks.

Mar 8, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Kent---

assuming you don't value portability over performance, the 497 is a nice balanced choice. I've used these as portables a few times and once you wrap the cord up, they work out nicely. Not too heavy, not too loud, sound great, easily driven. They do look quite ugly though. Grados are excellent, but are just not great portables.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 10
I really have it out for Grados. At $100, I'd probably take a chance on the Philips and see how it worked out--I haven't gotten to hear them yet.

Mar 9, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 10
If you won't be using it while your around alot of noise, then get the grado sr 80's.

If you are going to be around alot of noise then the grados are not it. It is extremely annoying trying to listen to music while somebody else is talking or something like that while you have these cans on.

About the comfort, grados, are not really all that comfortable. But you can get the comfy pads for $10 and they will be alot more comfortable i am sure.

I know it seems like i am talking alot of salad about these cans, but believe me, they are extremely wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back