Best open headphones for less than $200?
Aug 19, 2007 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Tejstar

New Head-Fier
I know that the title is a bit of a misnomer, given that it comes down to personal preference. However, given the wealth of knowledge on these forums I thought I'd ask what you guys think would best suit my needs.

I am basically looking for a pair of full size open-backed headphones for around the $200 mark (I live in the UK but thought it'd be easier to talk in dollar terms!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The cans will mainly be used for PC gaming along with occasional hifi use. I am looking for some headphones that are quite punchy i.e. reasonable bass. The perfect headphones would be a more refined version of the PX-100's, more comfy and slightly less bass. I listen to quite a bit of dance and hip-hop so I want the phones to have seem feeling lower down the spectrum.

Before anyone asks I have searched these forums endlessly but I still can't decide. The ones that come to the fore are the following: Sennheiser HD595, Grado SR80, Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700. Are there others I should be considering? If not, which would be best for the task?

Many thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 26
I just got AKG K601s for $193 (200 w/shipping). They are my first pair of real headphones so I can't really make decent comparisons, and I also use them for music and not gaming. Still, it's a pair of open headphones under $200 that's not on your list.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 26
I wouldn't choose the DT990 Pro unless amped. The A900 is closed. For an open gaming can I would consider choosing the AKG K601 for $200 shipped, especially if later expecting to own at least an inexpensive amp. The HD595 is comfortable, probably more like the px100, a popular choice for gaming, and would be my choice if definitely not amping.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that the title is a bit of a misnomer, given that it comes down to personal preference. However, given the wealth of knowledge on these forums I thought I'd ask what you guys think would best suit my needs.

I am basically looking for a pair of full size open-backed headphones for around the $200 mark (I live in the UK but thought it'd be easier to talk in dollar terms!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The cans will mainly be used for PC gaming along with occasional hifi use. I am looking for some headphones that are quite punchy i.e. reasonable bass. The perfect headphones would be a more refined version of the PX-100's, more comfy and slightly less bass. I listen to quite a bit of dance and hip-hop so I want the phones to have seem feeling lower down the spectrum.

Before anyone asks I have searched these forums endlessly but I still can't decide. The ones that come to the fore are the following: Sennheiser HD595, Grado SR80, Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700. Are there others I should be considering? If not, which would be best for the task?

Many thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like my sr80's.
rs1smile.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 26
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't plan on amping straight away so maybe the HD595's will be the best choice. I'd consider the AKG K601's but they will add another £40 to the price of the HD595's. My only concern about the 595's is that there are quite a few comments here that they lack bass, especially unamped...

Are the AD700's no good then I take it?

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 26
The AD700s are very good and don't need an amp. They just don't have as much bass as their closed brothers the A700/900s. And it seems to be you are looking for bass.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 26
If you'll be using them for gaming as well as music I'd go with the HD595. They're great for gaming and do very well unamped.

I have some k601's, and while I do like them, I don't think they do too well with gaming. I'm assuming you don't have an amp since you didn't mention one, which is also another strike against the AKG's, since they really do need an amp.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 26
It's a shame that with so many open headphones you sacrifice bass. I'm really not a fan of closed phones (especially for home use) so it's something I have to live with I suppose.
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you'll be using them for gaming as well as music I'd go with the HD595. They're great for gaming and do very well unamped.

Thanks speedball. I'm increasingly thinking that the HD595's will be the ones I go for. I'll probably be using them 60:40 games to music so it seems as these will be the best for the job and are also at a reasonable price.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 26
man, forget everything and buy some Alessandro MS1 !
smily_headphones1.gif
best open for even less than that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

exactly! grab some MS1!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 26
The SR-80s with the basshead tape mod will give you all of the bass you need unless you're a true basshead...in which case, just get the DT770s. The Grados aren't ideal for gaming, but I have the A900s, and they aren't ideal for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back