Best Open Headphone under $80?
Jan 8, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grado sr60. no question... a very good headphone for around 70 bucks at headphone dot com....they rate them 5 out of 5.

you beat me to it...that's exactly what i was gonna say (minus the 5 out of 5 part).

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 41
I should say that the SR-60 are a great pair of beginning headphones. They are aggressive, foward sounding, and can have a good amount of detail. The SR-60 are what made me want to get into personal audio.

However, while they are an option, they are not the only option. Here are some other headphones that would fit the bill within your price-range:AKG K240 Studio (maybe), Sennheiser HD515 (or if you search harder than amazon, maybe an HD555), and Audio Technica ATH-AD500 (if you were willing to stretch the budget by around 35 dollars, you could get the AD700). However, I haven't heard all of these (only the K240, which is a less aggressive than the SR-60)

For your budget, that's about all I can come up with.

Good luck,

Nylan

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 41
+1 on the SR60. I just them as my first Grado experience and I am very happy so far.

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 41
Thanks for the replies. I will look into the Grados, but have two questions/comments.
1.Are they comfortable? They don't very comfortable from the pics, but I may be wrong.
2.I care about style somewhat too, I don't really like the retroish look.

I think I am willing to stretch my budget a good bit. I've heard the AD700s are great, but (I think I can) would stretching my budget to around $150 be worth it?

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 41
Haven't heard them personally but the Goldring DR150s seem to get glowing reviews

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard them personally but the Goldring DR150s seem to get glowing reviews

I have read good things about those too. I am looking at the AD700 and the DR150 now probably. My question is it worth the extra money and will I (not an audiophile) notice a difference?

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 41
The sr60s come with the different pads than the rest of the grados and are fine. I dont have a problem with them at least. As far as style goes, the sr60s sound amazing and I wouldnt shop for headphones with style over sound in mind.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sr60s come with the different pads than the rest of the grados and are fine. I dont have a problem with them at least. As far as style goes, the sr60s sound amazing and I wouldnt shop for headphones with style over sound in mind.

Are they comfortable for longer periods of time (and in general)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back