best open can for portable use <$125?
Apr 23, 2002 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jackm

New Head-Fier
Is there an open can that is comfortable, can be driven by an iPod (without an amplifier), costs less than $125, does not have a long thick cord (such as the Grado SR-60 has), and sounds much better than a Koss SportaPro?

I have just spent 3 days breaking in a Sennheiser HD497. I'm going to return them because 1) they are too uncomfortable (yes, I did stretch them over a basketball for 48 hours, but they are still too uncomfortable), and 2) they only sound a smidgeon better than the SportaPro. To my ears, they deliver better vocals than the SportaPro (perhaps the right word is more "presence"), but that's about it. Or perhaps it is that the bass is a little bit tamer, which allows the vocals to come through better.

I want an open can so that my family members can get my attention when they need to.

I listen mostly to jazz (Earl Klugh) and vocals (Eva Cassidy).

Thanks for your assistance!

Apr 23, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 13
I agree with the SR125 recommendation. But if $150 is too much, check out the SR80. If you can't try them in your area, check oiut the Headroom site. Their excellent 30 day return policy gives you plenty of time to determine if the Grado line is for you.

Apr 23, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 13
Since ALL Grados have the thick, cumbersome cord which you dislike, I would recommend, as Commander did, the Koss KSC-35.....best bang for the buck in the headphone world (IMHO). Prepare to be amazed at the sound quality that comes out of these little buggers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
maybe Grado SR 125s? I have never heard the 125s, but they just barely hit your price range and they should sound pretty good, but I don't know about out of an iPod.

and

Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA
I agree with the SR125 recommendation.

BUT he already said:

Quote:

Originally posted by jackm
does not have a long thick cord (such as the Grado SR-60 has)

evil_smiley.gif

Since the entire Grado line has similar cords, that would eliminate any other Grado
wink.gif

I would also recommend the KSC-35 -- they won't sound "much" better than the PortaPro, but they will sound better. Mostly you get a more balanced sound with a bit less "boominess" in the bass, and a bit more comfort.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of headphones that meet your criteria (open, comfortable, can be driven by an iPod, cost less than $125, no long, thick cord, and sounds much better than a Koss SportaPro). In fact, many would argue that apart from the KSC-35, there are none at all.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 13
But I said:

Quote:

I don't know about the cord length or thickness

Had I known that the entire Grado line has the same cord type, I would not have recommended the SR125s. The entire Sennheiser line doesn't have the same cord and I thought that might be the case with Grado as well, but I clearly said that I didn't know.

Since I own the KSC35s and really like them, I will recommend them as well, especially since you can get them for $20+ship.

http://headwize.powerpill.org/ubb/sh...ays=20&stime=0

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jackm
Thanks for your help, everyone! I'll order KSC-35 and give my SportaPros to my sister.

Jack

Apparently the decision has already been taken, but I'd add my 2c just in case.
IMO Sennheiser HD 575 if you can find them do sound better than the Koss family and cost about 150 USD (this is in Europe). They are quite comfy and have thinner cord than Grados.
Dunno how powerful the iPod is but a 10 mW portable can drive them adequately.

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 13
the hd575 is hardly portable now is it. and at $150 it should be leaps better than any Koss (which is in any case above his budget)!

Apr 23, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 13
Sony D66 eggos? They're <$125 shipped, portable, short cord, and even though I've only had them a day, so far they sound better than my KSC-35s. Sony says they're closed, but others on this forum have noted that they have vents, and they really don't isolate much. I can hear people talk to me, but have to turn off the music to understand them. The KSC-35s are really open though - I've had short conversations with my wife while listening to music. The problem with my open cans at home is that I wind up turning the volume up so that I CAN'T hear the tv, my wife on the phone, the kids being electrocuted, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back