Best open backed, over ear, headphones for rock for under $250?
Feb 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #31 of 47
To improve their comfort, buy an aftermarket headband such as Turbulent Labs. I really dislike the thin stock one.

Regardless, bend the flat metal strip inside the headband to fit the shape of your head and to get the pressure on your ears right.

To make the stock S-cushions smoother and softer, soak them overnight in lukewarm water with a little mild liquid baby soap; rinse thoroughly with cold water--press the water out gently; set them out on a towel to dry.

how much does this process on the pads improve the comfort?

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #32 of 47
how much does this process on the pads improve the comfort?

The pads can be scratchy out of the box. Wash them once or twice (as needed) and they're smooth. The overall comfort of the pads partly depends on adjusting the headband to get the pressure on your ears the way you want it.

The pads aren't a real problem. It's the stock headband that can hurt: it's so thin that you can feel the metal inside it. So I replaced it.

I no longer have any comfort problems. I wouldn't say that it feels as if I'm not wearing headphones, but I've fallen asleep wearing them at least twice.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #33 of 47
The pads can be scratchy out of the box. Wash them once or twice (as needed) and they're smooth. The overall comfort of the pads partly depends on adjusting the headband to get the pressure on your ears the way you want it.

The pads aren't a real problem. It's the stock headband that can hurt: it's so thin that you can feel the metal inside it. So I replaced it.

I no longer have any comfort problems. I wouldn't say that it feels as if I'm not wearing headphones, but I've fallen asleep wearing them at least twice.

I'll go through the earcup options and judge the headband while I'm at it. I'm really hoping the headband won't be an issue.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #34 of 47
I'll go through the earcup options and judge the headband while I'm at it. I'm really hoping the headband won't be an issue.

I find L-cushions uncomfortable because of their shape. I've read that the sock mod helps, but I don't know how it affects the sound.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #36 of 47
I might just guy the g-cushions then. I dunno. What exactly is uncomfy about them?

They're stiff and smaller than your ears, but they're not shaped at all so they press against the ear unevenly. I guess that must not bother some listeners because they're still popular. I don't recommend G-cushions because they're for Grado models tuned to have more bass; they make 80i sound even brighter. I think the stock S-cushions are fine really.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #37 of 47
They're stiff and smaller than your ears, but they're not shaped at all so they press against the ear unevenly. I guess that must not bother some listeners because they're still popular. I don't recommend G-cushions because they're for Grado models tuned to have more bass; they make 80i sound even brighter. I think the stock S-cushions are fine really.

Couldn't an amp (like the fiio e07k) fix the issue by adding more bass and less treble?

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #38 of 47
Couldn't an amp (like the fiio e07k) fix the issue by adding more bass and less treble?

More likely EQ. When I've amped SR series Grados, it actually made the treble more full-bodied and increased soundstage but didn't affect bass. So you can always EQ, though there are limits to that. What's your concern? I can tell you that my 80i + aftermarket headband + washed stock S-cushions is fine.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #39 of 47
More likely EQ. When I've amped SR series Grados, it actually made the treble more full-bodied and increased soundstage but didn't affect bass. So you can always EQ, though there are limits to that. What's your concern? I can tell you that my 80i + aftermarket headband + washed stock S-cushions is fine.

my main concern is that if I get the g-cush then i wont be getting the best sound from the headphones.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #40 of 47
You can't get the best sound from them because they weren't designed to work with those models and, for the most part, they don't. Even L-cushions are a safer choice, despite my finding them uncomfortable. But the S-cushions they come with are fine. Don't over-think this. If you decide that Grados aren't for you, you can recoup most of the expense by selling them here.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #41 of 47
You can't get the best sound from them because they weren't designed to work with those models and, for the most part, they don't. Even L-cushions are a safer choice, despite my finding them uncomfortable. But the S-cushions they come with are fine. Don't over-think this. If you decide that Grados aren't for you, you can recoup most of the expense by selling them here.

Oh? How quickly could they be sold?

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #42 of 47
I shouldn't think it would take more than two weeks, probably more quickly if you're aggressive and post a good ad with pictures. Just be sure to keep the box (opened carefully) and everything it comes with including all paperwork. Treat the headphones gently, keeping them clean. If you buy it for $100, you should be able to recoup $80.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #43 of 47
I shouldn't think it would take more than two weeks, probably more quickly if you're aggressive and post a good ad with pictures. Just be sure to keep the box (opened carefully) and everything it comes with including all paperwork. Treat the headphones gently, keeping them clean. If you buy it for $100, you should be able to recoup $80.

I can get $80 even if I put the pads through the softening process?

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #44 of 47
I can get $80 even if I put the pads through the softening process?

You're only using a drop of baby soap and being very gentle with them. That won't damage them. They'll look identical to new and feel better than new. Buyers worry when someone doesn't keep the box and papers (unless it's vintage) or when there are scratches and dirt. Just keep everything tidy and don't misplace little things such as the adapter and warranty card.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #45 of 47
You're only using a drop of baby soap and being very gentle with them. That won't damage them. They'll look identical to new and feel better than new. Buyers worry when someone doesn't keep the box and papers (unless it's vintage) or when there are scratches and dirt. Just keep everything tidy and don't misplace little things such as the adapter and warranty card.

That's awesome! Thank you so much for your help man. I love this website and everyone that has helped me through my researching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back