Best open back headphones for electronic dance music?
Dec 10, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ZenErik

1000+ Head-Fier
I know there are millions of "best headphones for whatever" threads, but when it comes to EDM I usually just see recommendations for closed headphones. Perhaps with a good reason.

But which open headphones work best for electronic music? I favor open cans because of the wider soundstage and also because I find them a little less fatiguing on the ears. Just feels like pressure builds up when I wear closed cans. My Q701s already sound great, but I am actually looking for a second pair of open headphones that are a bit bass heavy yet still solid in the mids and highs.

Recommendations, anyone? Thanks. :D

If there just simply anything open that is suitable I may try some of those Ultrasone Pro 900s. :)

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, open pro900 = pro2900
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Beyer DT990 600ohm if you can amplify them correctly ~ very fun cans for EDM, bass is ample and of
exquisite quality.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

Indeed. That is one I have been eyeing. Same goes for the Beyerdynamics DT990 600ohm. :)

Both are pretty top options for semi-open EDM cans,

The other one would be the LCD-2 ~ if you're familiar with that 'Drum and Bass' legend, Goldie, you'll
 see on Audeze's website that he's a statesman for the LCD-2.

Goldie
Known throughout the music industry as the "king of jungle", Goldie is an artist whose ferocious creativity knows no bounds. Born and bred on the breakdancing and hip-hop culture he absorbed during trips to the States in his youth, Goldie was a graffitti artist and an album cover artist before receiving the backing to record his first track, "Terminator", in 1993. His debut album, "Timeless", followed two years later, and was hailed by critics as a masterpiece. The album fused the hypersyncopated breakbeats and reggae chic common in jungle music with a provocative bassline and soulful diva vocals. That album's title track, a 21-minute symphonic piece, was a masterstroke, and the lively "Inner City Life" was a smash. With his reputation firmly established, he released his sophomore album in 1998, Saturnzreturn. The album's opening track, "Mother" a 60-minute orchestral/drum-n-bass piece, is a haunting track and serves as the companion piece to "Timeless." 

font]

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Those look great but may be outside of my budget. At the very least I would probably want to make sure I am able to try them beforehand with the near 4 figure price tag. Both the Pro 2900 and the DT990 600ohm are easily in my range.

Is there a compelling reason to just go for closed cans instead? I just feel like they may make me feel a bit claustrophobic in addition to the fatigue.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Those look great but may be outside of my budget. At the very least I would probably want to make sure I am able to try them beforehand with the near 4 figure price tag. Both the Pro 2900 and the DT990 600ohm are easily in my range.

Is there a compelling reason to just go for closed cans instead? I just feel like they may make me feel a bit claustrophobic in addition to the fatigue.

Really depends ~ I hear you though, closed cans feel a little tiresome on my head pretty quickly ~ only the very best from Audio Technica or a Denon D2000 feels
 quite nice.

Again, out of your price range but the best EDM closed can I have ever heard is the Ultrasone Signature Pro ~ total one trick pony in that vocals sound
 awful but for EDM - it's a total star.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 8
I think I'm going to say screw it to my open back desires and go for the Ultrasone Pro 900s. What I've been reading about them just sounds too appealing to pass up. Plus they're just over $300 on Amazon right now. Seems like a nice price. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back