Best online place that allows returns on 'phones???
Jan 19, 2003 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

viper69

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy/try some earbuds..Years ago I didn't think the models were that good..But now people seem to think they are better.

I am going to use them w/my Zen. I want to know what place(s) have excellent return policy esp. web companies. Because no one sells ear buds like MX4-500's or anything like that..I am forced to buy something w/out trying it..and potentially returning it the day I receive them.

Plus...any one know if Koss makes good earbuds?? There are so many headphones now..that I am so unsure as to what is good or not....it used to be easy.

Jan 19, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 15
Jan 20, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 15
Yes, HeadRoom by all means. Just keep in mind that, unless things have changed, it can take several weeks to get a refund on a return. However, there's always the alternative of applying the return credit to some other item. That way you can add a little more money to it, and get something a little better that you end up keeping; it's much less painful that way.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 15
As far as I can see, Headroom is no longer selling the MX400/500 earbuds. I wanted to buy a pair myself but they didn't offer them. I ended up buying them from B&H because I live in New York City and I figured if I had a problem it would be easy to return them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph/...ID=F31D7C81350

By the way, in case you're worried, B&H is an excellent store. They really specialize in Photo but they have some pro audio equipment, too. If you're ever in New York City and you're into cameras it's a must see!

Jan 22, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
By the way, in case you're worried, B&H is an excellent store. They really specialize in Photo but they have some pro audio equipment, too. If you're ever in New York City and you're into cameras it's a must see!

I went to B&H recently for the first time since they moved out of their old 17th Street location. The new(ish) location is quite amazing, and is definitely worth looking at if you are into gadgetry, or just weird New York phenomena. For those who don't know, B&H is a Hasidic Jewish store, and the majority of the staff is made up of men in yamulkes with side-curls, wearing matching vests embossed with corporate logos such as "Panasonic." (Not all of the staff is hasidic, but most.)

This in itself is not so unusual in NYC. But B&H has built themselves a very high-tech, futuristic operation over on the west side of mid-town. Each department has computer workstations where you have a sales associate enter your order into the system and give you a ticket. Then you go to a line to wait for a cashier. There you see a whole bank of bright, modern booths, each staffed by a guy with the yamulke/side-curl thing. When the light flashes over the booth, you go up and pay him, then get into another line for the pick-up desk. Now you're in front of a receiving area. Overhead, green plastic crates go by on some kind of transom, apparently bearing merchandise from the store-room. Behind the pick-up desk, more guys are busy unloading these and placing them neatly into plastic B&H bags, each bearing a ticket with a number that matches your receipt number. By the time you snake your way to the head of the line, your order is ready. From there, you go to a kind of "departure area," which bears a resemblance to a small airport departure lounge, with rows of seats where you can wait for a friend, a cab, etc.

What's odd is the combination of slick, modern hi-tech with old world medieval religious garb. Also, the hi-tech store engineering is not your standard Circuit City/Best Buy approach but something unique cooked up by these guys. It's apparently very efficient but kind of old fashioned too (maybe because of the crates going buy overhead) with a kind of Santa's workshop quality.

In any case, B&H is big and very legit -- seems to be the largest place in town for professional photographers, video producers, etc. I highly recommend a visit there.

Jan 22, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 15
I went into B&H the Sunday before Christmas (remember if you plan to visit that because it is run by Hasidic Jews, the store is closed on Saturdays) and it was mobbed. There was a line just to talk to a salesman. You might think from the whole process that Davie described that it would take a long time to get your stuff. Well, I was out of there with a whole 35mm camera kit in less than 20 minutes and I felt like I got a great deal.

Jan 22, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 15
B and H,
Did you guys go into the used department, really nice vintage cameras they have there, right?????

Jan 22, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 15
My wife put a sensor in my wallet that sounds off an alarm if I go into the used camera area
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
I went into B&H the Sunday before Christmas (remember if you plan to visit that because it is run by Hasidic Jews, the store is closed on Saturdays) and it was mobbed. There was a line just to talk to a salesman. You might think from the whole process that Davie described that it would take a long time to get your stuff. Well, I was out of there with a whole 35mm camera kit in less than 20 minutes and I felt like I got a great deal.

Yeah, they're very efficient. And clean. I don't know about the bathroom, however. That's a good question.

Jan 22, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by viper69
I am looking to buy/try some earbuds....I am forced to buy something w/out trying it..and potentially returning it the day I receive them.

Yes, back to your question. I don't know if B&H is your best bet because they don't have the liberal return policy that Headroom has. I know they are a reputable company but they only have a 7 day return policy on audio and then everything has to be returned "like new" including all original packaging. You'll have to ship them back and you'll be out the cost

However, they only cost $15 (not including shipping) and it'll probably be the best $15 you ever spent on earbuds. Still, I understand your concerns. For me it's a little different since I can physically go to the store if need be.

Actually, I just checked Amazon.com and they sell the MX500s. I have bought a lot of stuff from Amazon and there has never been a problem. They have a 30 day return policy as well. You'll pay a little more but they do offer pretty good service.

Jan 22, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 15
On the other hand, if you're doing mail order you don't have to worry about the bathrooms.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
On the other hand, if you're doing mail order you don't have to worry about the bathrooms.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, sure, as long as Viper's maid isn't off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back