Best of two worlds... hmm..
Apr 20, 2009 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gitf03

Head-Fier
Hey,

once again i need your help. I feel i need to upgrade...
My history: Bought Koss Porta Pro 5 years ago as my first more-than-10€-phones and loved them.. later, maybe 7,8 months ago - through the help of this forum - bought the Audio Technica M50 and a Corda Headsix (before bought the K518DJ and made a gift to my brother 5 days later) mainly in use with an iPhone 3G and Quables LOD and only lossless music ripped from my own cds.

Since i own the M50 the Koss in general are dirt for me...no need to explain. The M50 are really great, i used to like them much from the first moment with the amp, but now, a short time later, i miss something about them. They satisfy me much when it's going about resolution, detail, clarity, bass is enough for me, soundstage enjoyable... ok, i don't want to miss any of these attributions. But the thing i miss is... the fun. Exactly what PortaPro gave me... today, when i listen to these - they are not enjoayble for me today - i hear a "boom", something that is making my ears shaking, i don't know, is this dynamic? Is this the open-style (in opposite to the closed M50)? I hope you know what i mean... the M50 are too boring for me, missing this booom. I would say they are to flat for me, to analytical.

And now i look for new phones that can combine these two properties. I want at least to keep the nice resolution and details of the M50 but also want this fun booooom the PortaPro gave me. I want to feel the music and not analyse it.

Now i listen most to old-school hiphop, what means i need all-round cans, because in opposite to many people that think bass is here the key, hiphop contains samples of all music in the world....jazzy materials (tribe called quest, pete rock..) and also electronic materials (madlib - the so called blacktronic - , j. dilla...). Bass is not soo importent for me... not to less, not to much. On the other hand listening to Depeche Mode (im a big fan) is trully amazing with the M50. But thats why i feel i need something more all-round, maybe something higher, something like M50 PLUS this fun i had with Koss PortaPro. Something that is shaking my ears... The look of the phones, comfort, portability, open or closed.... it is all secondary since i am traveling much and all the time either in planes/trains or in hotels. I don't listen on the streets...

Long story short, what do you think will satisfy me? Budget i about 300€ (400$). I can get the HD650 for a good price (220€), but i don't know it they will give me what i look for?

Of course i read many posts last days and weeks, and i know all the competitors, but i think describing my personal needs will help me more.

Thank you in advance!

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 3
I think Ultrasone PRO900 may be a good option for you. It can be found for around $400 US online and from what I've read, it has a very musical and balanced sound signature with great deep and punchy bass and sparkly, exciting treble, while at the same time keeping great detail in the midrange. It's also closed and will give you isolation for the times when you are on plains/trains. Comfort is apparently very good, since the 'phones come with velour pads and built quality is also supposedly good. Also, it doesn't seem to require a powerful source to sound good, unlike Sennheiser HD650s. You can read a good review of the Ultrasones here.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 3
Hmm, I just ordered ATH M-50 and one of the things I commonly read during my research is that they have fairly deep bass. They are meant as a studio headphone though so are not meant to colour any frequency. Consumer headphones are often designed to be more "fun" to listen to. Try Denon maybe along with the above mentioned ones.

This post I am reading at Gearslutz may be of use to you. The reply is in reference to Denon D2000 he had just bought. He is saying D2000 have loads of sub bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Wow, that is interesting as it seems like the M50's have a ton of subbass, for a headphone.

You don't know from ton till you hear these. These are personal subwoofers.

M50 has less subbass than DT770 and Ultrasone 750 as well.

M50 has plenty of upper bass. Plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back