best of the eighties!!
May 26, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 19
Kieran,

U2, REM, The Smiths in the same breath as Joy Division, Echo and Bunnymen, and the Clash????

I saw U2 support SLF in Glasgow 1979/80 and therefore have never purchased a single LP/CD by them (heard them on Top of the Pops since then - no improvement).

However, I must agree the late 70's/early 80's were very good years.

May 26, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by 20silkcut
U2, REM, The Smiths in the same breath as Joy Division, Echo and Bunnymen, and the Clash????

Definitely. In fact, I would contend that U2, R.E.M., and The Smiths influenced many more people (bands, artists, listeners) than Joy Division and E&B. U2 is the only one I would say really evolved into a "commercial" act.

That said, all six are among my favorite bands
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #18 of 19
The eighties rocked for me...the nineties sucked, for alternative music became mainstream.
I think my musical tastes were born in the eighties.
Don't get me wrong, I have an affinity to seventies stuff too...
I started this thread cause listening to Cheap Trick, I was reminded of what I USED to listen to; and what I still do...
Some of you said the eighties sucked!..look at your cd collection, and how the eighties influenced it!
I just bought the latest New Order!
md

May 28, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #19 of 19
Notice I said early U2 and early REM. Even though these two bands went comercial on a very large scale, back then, they were underground. Come on, there really was not anything like "Murmur" around back in 1982. The stuff was fresh and origanal in its time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back