Best of 3?
May 29, 2015 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stuart1927

100+ Head-Fier
oK....I'm looking for new headphones up to a budget of $1000 or so.

I've narrowed my search to the following 3:

1. Audeze LCD-2
2. Mr Speakers Alpha prime
3. ZMF Blackwood

I'm having real trouble deciding on these phones. I currently have the Sennheiser 598's and enjoy the sound, but it doesn't really grab me. I want slightly better bass definition whilst keeping things quite transparent. I listen to a wide range of mainly instrumental music, from Jazz to fusion to some Orchestral.

I currently have an Emotiva DC-1 that I'm using as a dac and headphone amp, but plan to buy a WOO Audio WA22 shortly. My main hifi is almost all tube based so I like the idea of a tube headphone amp (I.e. Hence Woo!)

I've been leaning towards the Alpha prime phone, especially with the recent price drop to $799, but the LCD-2 is also pulling at me.

Any impressions / comparisons on these phones would help a lot.

Stuart

May 29, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 3
  oK....I'm looking for new headphones up to a budget of $1000 or so.

I've narrowed my search to the following 3:

1. Audeze LCD-2
2. Mr Speakers Alpha prime
3. ZMF Blackwood

I'm having real trouble deciding on these phones. I currently have the Sennheiser 598's and enjoy the sound, but it doesn't really grab me. I want slightly better bass definition whilst keeping things quite transparent. I listen to a wide range of mainly instrumental music, from Jazz to fusion to some Orchestral.

I currently have an Emotiva DC-1 that I'm using as a dac and headphone amp, but plan to buy a WOO Audio WA22 shortly. My main hifi is almost all tube based so I like the idea of a tube headphone amp (I.e. Hence Woo!)

I've been leaning towards the Alpha prime phone, especially with the recent price drop to $799, but the LCD-2 is also pulling at me.

Any impressions / comparisons on these phones would help a lot.

Stuart

Do you need open or closed?  LCD-2 are open while the other 2 are closed.  If isolation / sound leakage is a factor, that will help your decision.

May 29, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi...I should have added, I'm not really too fussed whether closed or open. Sound quality is the highest priority, so open is fine as I'll be listening at home. I just didn't want to limit myself based on that, especially as some of the closed phones are getting very good reviews.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back