Best of 2007
Nov 28, 2007 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Nepenthe

500+ Head-Fier
If there is another thread already, let me know.

Otherwise, is it not time for the best of 2007 thread?

Here are my top three:
1. Menomena -- Friend and Foe
2. Aqueduct -- Or Give Me Death
3. Animal Collective -- Strawberry Jam
I chose these three because although i bought a good number (35 or so) of 2007 albums during 2007, these three are the ones I had by far the most FUN with.

Have at it. Any genre, any size list, any justification. Stuff released in '07.

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 85
Metal:

Baroness - Red Album
High on Fire - Death is this Communion
3 Inches of Blood - Fire up the Blades

"Rock":

Battles - Mirrored
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
The White Stripes - Icky Thump

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 85
There was another thread, but it was made a bit too early in the year. A few new albums have come up since then and it's time for a more finalized list. Here we go.

Album of the Year:
Menomena - Friend and Foe

For me this album was love at first site. From the nice little opener Muscle 'n Flo to the downright awesome Evil Bee, this album has just done it for me time and time again more than any other album that I've heard so far this year. Consistently great from start to finish. If anything the songs become more epic as the album goes along, with the peak at Evil Bee. This group has gotten progressively better through their past two releases and are definitely high on my list of "When the hell is their next album coming out" list.

Runners up:
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, are you the Destroyer? (Crazy, unpredictable, and a classic)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (Them boys still got it)
Blonde Redhead - 23 (Because Japanese singers are cool)
Battles - Mirrored (Most fun album since Hissing Fauna)
Amon Tobin - Foley Room (Electronic album of the year)

Disappointment of the year:
Hurt - Vol. 2

Man I had such high aspirations for this group after their solid debut Vol. 1. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it rocked pretty hard and the singer has a very interesting voice. Lyrically it wasn't half bad, and it was very consistent overall. Unfortunately, their second album suffers from a lack of consistency and, well, good songs. The single "Ten Ton Brick" wasn't half bad, but it was no "Rapture", and it only gets worse from there. The band lost something in the year since Vol. 1, and unfortunately I don't think they're gonna have a chance for a Vol. 3. Here's to Hurt, the little band that almost did.
frown.gif

Runners up:
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (Major disappointment, but I saw it coming)
Seal - System (This isn't the Seal that did Human Being)

And just for the heck of it...

The "Back in my Good Graces" award goes to...
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

After the failed lessen in sobriety that was With Teeth (the last three songs did kick ass though), it seems that Reznor has finally gotten the hang of being sober, and as a result released an album that is a good bit better than his last effort. Granted, the advertising for the album was greater than the album itself, the album wasn't a total wash. Indeed, he seems to remember a bit of what made him great in the first place. Noise, lots of Noise. It seems like he's starting to get some emotion back into his music, and not just the anger that was in With Teeth. The concept part of the album is nowhere near as well defined as it was in The Downward Spiral (and what could be?), and I'm pretty sure we're gonna have to hear the follow up album to make a whole lot of sense out of the thing. On another note, this album also has the least swearing (2 f-bombs I think) out of every one of his major releases (not counting EPs). The color changing CD was a nice little touch that I don't recall ever being done before. In my book, if you're already established as a good artist, you have to make two stinkers before before you're on my naughty list, and thankfully the Rez has redeemed himself IMO.

Well that was a bit longer than I intended, but I tried to give reason for my listings and not list every album I bought this year that I liked. All in all, 2007 was a pretty good year for music. At least for me anyways.
cool.gif

P.S. Man I really need to listen to The National one of these days.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 85
The best are definitely

LCD Soundsyster - "Sound of Silver"
Panda Bear - "Person Pitch"

After that, in some order:

The National - Boxer
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
M.I.A. - Kala
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Justice - Cross
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
Battles - Mirrored

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 85
Not bought a great deal of 'new' music this year, but Rober Plant and Alison Krauss' Rising Sand album is probably my favorite.

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 85
A lot of my picks are listed above -

LCD Soundsystem
Panda Bear
Arcade Fire
M.I.A.
Battles

I would add:

Kanye West - Graduation
The Good, The Bad & The Queen - The Good, The Bad & The Queen
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead

I knew I forgot something. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person to like this album. Another notable entry would be Abandoned Language by Dalek. IMO it's his best yet.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Album of the Year:
Menomena - Friend and Foe

For me this album was love at first site. From the nice little opener Muscle 'n Flo to the downright awesome Evil Bee, this album has just done it for me time and time again more than any other album that I've heard so far this year. Consistently great from start to finish. If anything the songs become more epic as the album goes along, with the peak at Evil Bee. This group has gotten progressively better through their past two releases and are definitely high on my list of "When the hell is their next album coming out" list.

I concur!

Not sure how Harp leaves it off a top FIFTY list: stereogum: Harp Puts Okkervil River Atop Its Top 50 CDs Of 2007

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 85
The best album of 2007 in my opinion was 4 years in the making and is the follow up to the band's debut album.

Somewhere in the Between-Streetlight Manifesto

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 85
Matthew Good - Hospital Music and Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace were two stand out albums this year for me.

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 85
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Robert Plant/Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust!
Project 86 - Rival Factions
Pride Tiger - The Lucky Ones
Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 85
The National - Boxer
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

Honorable mention goes to Feist - The Reminder

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not bought a great deal of 'new' music this year, but Rober Plant and Alison Krauss' Rising Sand album is probably my favorite.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back