Best non-IEM earphones (with remote)?
Dec 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jscmith900

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been looking around this site and others for the best earphones/earbuds (apparently I don't know the difference)... but all the forums I come across just mention the type of earbuds that you have to shove in your ear canal which I can't seem to get used to.

Budget: would like to spend under $50 right now, but would be willing to go as high as $150 depending on the circumstances 
Type of Music: I'll just list the bands I listen to most: NIN, Radiohead, Led Zep, Daft Punk, M83, RHCP, Vampire Weekend... good bit of hip-hop, pop, classic rock etc.
Device: MacBook Pro and iPhone 5

I'm just looking for a high quality earphone, preferably with a remote (just to pause and change the volume) that I don't have to jam in my ear. The last two appear earpods I had, stopped working on me (well, the right side did at least - both times). The earpods I have now are Ironman Yurbuds and I'll just say they are overpriced at no more than $30.

Also, I'm curious to know why only these types of earbuds (IEM's) are recommended whenever talking about the best earbuds. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Earphone = Inserts into your ear canal
EarBUD = Sits in outer region of your ear (like those earbuds that come with the iPhone)

Only IEM's are recommended because they provide the most isolation, provide the best sound, and the fact that very few manufacturers actually make earbuds anymore (iirc).

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the clarification. So if there are any earBUD suggestions I would love to hear them. I don't get how earbuds are more popular - it seems most of them fall out so easily and it feels like you've got a q-tip in your ear.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks for the clarification. So if there are any earBUD suggestions I would love to hear them. I don't get how earbuds are more popular - it seems most of them fall out so easily and it feels like you've got a q-tip in your ear.

Well.. It's all a matter of fit. It helps to try out various sizes of fittings until one fits your ear just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back