Best non-Android Daps
Feb 29, 2024 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

HDGabe5636

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys
I need a Dap for portable listening but after looking around I started seeing that almost all new Daps are stripped down Android phones with Google and unnecessary apps that drain the battery. I don't care for streaming since I buy my music and store it locally, so what are the best android-less Daps available?

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 25
I'm in the same boat as you and personally don't like Android DAPs. I think your choices are reduced to HibyOS (Hiby, Hidizs, Tempotec) and Mtouch (Shanling)

I'm currently using Tempotec V3

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 25
It's quite weighty for what it is but it'll power most full sized headphones.

I keep one in my suitcase travel myself.

If you're happy with a good dongle, a transport is also an option for travel, too

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 25
Mar 3, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 25
The best non-android players are likely the L&P and Lotoo players, but they are quite expensive. A lot of people love the Sony's, too.

I'm loving the Hiby RS2. It's a discrete R2R design (very similar to the much more expensive RS6) and has a nice analog natural sound. I love the size and weight. It has two TF card slots although the weak CPU has issues with a library over about 30K songs, and tops out at 50K songs. You can access everything in folder view. The amp is on the weaker side, but it has had no issue driving my IEMs and even my Hifiman HE400SE Planar headphones. I only use balanced. Musicteck has open box RS2's for $407, but I bought a gently used one from a head-fier for well under $300.

I'm keeping an eye on Cayin's new N3Ultra. It should be non-android, upgraded CPU, and balanced tube mode. Price of the N3Pro was around $500 and the Ultra is supposed to be in the same ballpark.
N3Ultra thread

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #14 of 25
+ 1 Sony WM1Z or WM1A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back