best noise isolating tips for earbuds?
Jan 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TegraStorm

100+ Head-Fier
thought about getting the Hippo VB earphones as for i like heavy bass/sub-bass and i want to use them in the metro & bus because they dont allow headphones (only earphones) -_-", so i was looking into getting them with some good noise-isolating tips, i heard that triple caps are good for isolation, and also heard about "comply t-400", but which are the best? i want to have an isolation so good that it will block the buzz in an airplane (for trips) but im not expecting to get 100% isolation, just for the most part. an isolation of 70-80db is good.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 6
The reason there are different styles, materials and sizes of tips is because everyone's ears are different. Isolation is all about achieving a seal. The better the seal, the better the isolation. So - you need to find the best size, style and material that work for *you* - and the only way to learn that is to try different tips that fit your IEMs. Not all tips will fit your IEMs - the diameter of the stems on your IEMs determine which tips will fit. Comply tips are quite good - they are a soft memory foam. The T400 Comply tips have a specific inner diameter to fit certain IEMs. The Comply tips also come in different overall sizes (Small, Medium & Large). The link you posted are the Mediums. Comply has a web site to find the correct model for different headphones: http://www.complyfoam.com/ However, I don't see Hippo listed in their Tip Finder.

You will NOT get 80 dB of isolation. The very best IEMs can only achieve ~40 dB of isolation. Maybe you mean % of sound blocked instead dB? I think 40 dB is something like 98% of the sound being blocked?

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 6
my uncle is a pilot so when i went with him to check a jet it made around 120db, the "tips" they gave me could isolate around 80db i would say, why? because you could barely hear the turbines with them... so i guess its not the same with earphones :p ok then ill be looking into that page, thank you... and for the hippo vb i think i may better be getting the JVC HA-FXT90, as for even tho i like bass ended up realizing im not a true "basshead" but i always like to head the bass, its important for me. why am i getting those? after doing some math i realize how much rock/metal music i have and end up noticing i listen to lots of it, so i guess it may be a good option to get those ones for $84

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 6
dB is NOT a linear scale - it is logarithmic. There is an old saying that +10 dB is approximately double the perceived volume. So, 120 dB is twice as loud as 110 dB, and 110 dB is twice as loud as 100 dB. Therefore, 120 dB is 4X louder than 100 dB, and 16X louder than 80 dB.

Headphone isolation *does* work the same way as earplugs. Those plugs your uncle gave you could *at most* have been providing about 30dB of isolation. Don't believe me? Go try to find ear plugs that can provide 50 dB of isolation. Start here: http://www.earplugstore.com/

http://www.westone.com/defendear/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=4&Itemid=88

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 6
dB is NOT a linear scale - it is logarithmic. There is an old saying that +10 dB is approximately double the perceived volume. So, 120 dB is twice as loud as 110 dB, and 110 dB is twice as loud as 100 dB. Therefore, 120 dB is 4X louder than 100 dB, and 16X louder than 80 db

damn, you punched me directly in the ignorance, thanks for the info. that was a long time ago so i guess i also have bad memory (and a lack of knowledge... until now... i guess) 

i´ll be reading about isolation, noise-cancelling and how it works then... imagine being infront of a space shuttle launch, my ears would make some good company with the rocket wherever in space my eardrums would fly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back