Best noise isolating over the ear headphone under $300
Feb 2, 2012 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Clayton72

New Head-Fier
Only the vmoda m-80 and the Philips Citiscape seem to make direct claims about noise isolation.  I work in a big computer lab with lots of people and machines, I want to drown it all out and just hear my music.  The Sennheiser Amperior with their milled aluminium cups might be good at blocking noise, but looks like they're on the ear, not over the ear.  Tried on the ear before and they hurt me.  Comfort and light weight is important to me.

Thanks,
Clayton

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Which type of isolation? passive or active?

With passive isolation, the HD380pro is good but have a strong clamping force, with active isolation you can have less clamping force, but are often heavier headphones and some peoples don't like noise from active isolation headphone.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 8
On the cheap side try a pair of Philips O'Neil Stretch headphones.  They perform decent enough, but they isolate very well and are built extremely well.  They are not nearly as good sounding as the M80 / V80 which I like better, but they do seal much better.

The M80 and V80 are very comfortable for on-ear.  I cannot wear a Grado because all of the pairs I have tried from the SR-60 to the RS-1i deliver pain to my outer ear.  The M80 is quite comfortable.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Only the vmoda m-80 and the Philips Citiscape seem to make direct claims about noise isolation.  I work in a big computer lab with lots of people and machines, I want to drown it all out and just hear my music.  The Sennheiser Amperior with their milled aluminium cups might be good at blocking noise, but looks like they're on the ear, not over the ear.  Tried on the ear before and they hurt me.  Comfort and light weight is important to me.

Thanks,
Clayton

Brainwavz HM5 or Fischer Audio FA-003 (same headphone). Great passive isolation. Great neutral sound. Looks good. Easy to drive. Comfortable.

Very best,

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 8
The KRK KNS-8400s have memory foam cushions, and are supposed to provide up to 30 dB of noise isolation.  I think this is fairly accurate.  I've worn them for up to four hours with little discomfort (although I've modified the headband cushions to be a little softer).

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Oh duh!  I should have said that I will be using these headphones with a HifFiman EF2A desktop DAC / amp with vintage Raytheon tubes.  I've been using some Grado SR-225's with that, but they let too much computer / HVAC / power transformer noise in.

Brought in my Thinksound TS02's passive noise-isolating IEM's today, they cut way down on the noise, but not as much as I'd like.  I suppose I could wear these with those.  :D

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97010-Ultimate-10-Hearing-Protector/dp/B000PW98WO/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1328261724&sr=1-2

I should add:  The Thinksound's have noticeably better bass than the Grado's...  Is that a difference between these two an inherent difference between IEM's and over the ear headphones?

Thinksound TS02:
http://www.amazon.com/Thinksound-Definition-Isolating-Headphone-Chocolate/dp/B004N80E9C/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328262155&sr=1-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back