Best noise isolating AND cancelling headphones?
Apr 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

amd62

New Head-Fier
Hey

I live with my mother, her work is daily caring for kids. This means there are 5 children right outside my door.. And trust me kids can make alot of noise.. throwing stuff, yelling, screaming and crying.. loads o.O 

So i really need some help. I need to have silence for my studying... and its not easy with them.

So i need some headphones that lower the crying/yelling from the kids

I read the difference between isolating and cancelling headphones - and i think that cancelling headphones wouldent work against it, because its a ''sudden'' noise?

Anyways.. I would really love some recommendations, some headphones that play great music AND gives me some silence from the kids also when they are not playing anything

my budget is Around 300-350$ ish, I live in Europe so prices are different :)

I prefer over-ear but i might try on-ear if you have any good recommendations - i hate in-ear ;s

EDIT:

Ive tried the Bose Quietcomfort 15 and i like how their NC is but i dont know how well they will lower childrens crying and yelling etc...

Ive tried Steelseries Siberia Elite -  They isolated well but i was not satisfied with the audio quality 

EDIT 2:

For the last 2-3 yrs ive been using Sennheiser HD 205 - Liking their audio quality :) But they dont help against the childrens crying or yelling at all so i gotta change them

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 15
My solution for a similar situation was a set of musician iems (in ear monitors)... They're often better value than consumer oriented ones, and isolate WAY better than any over ear headphones I've had. Also, they don't compromise the music w white noise & such - or require you to turn the volume up so loud it affects your studying. Um1s were what I bought, but there might be better stuff around these days.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 15
I had to ship them from a website a few years back - westone um1. But most decent iems will do the same job of isolating... As long as you get 'tips' that fit. Do a search here for item and your budget and/or check out the for sale threads for other options.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Etymotic ER4Ps do not have active noise cancelling like the Bose, but they are very good at shutting out noise. They are another IEM designed for musician's for monitoring, and they've worked better than anything else for me when I travel by airplane :)

I use the Etymotic foam tips to get that good seal.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 15
The Bose are known to be some of the very best for noise cancelling. Looking for something else isn't likely to offer you an improvement on them for that.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 15
The Bose are known to be some of the very best for noise cancelling. Looking for something else isn't likely to offer you an improvement on them for that.

Theyre great at "cancelling" noise out but sudden noise theyre not that great at 

Thats why i am looking for ones who are good at both :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 15
The B&W P5 has pretty good noise isolation. However I'm not sure if it has the best passive noise cancellation of any headphone under $300 (since there are alot of headphones on the market that I haven't heard). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back