Best noise cancellation/help a newbie pick new 'phones
Jun 20, 2008 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jtr3030

New Head-Fier
I need some new closed 'phones and IEMs. Sound isolation/outside noise cancellation is the most important thing as I live in a noisy environment and have to wear earplugs constantly. I want passive noise cancellation. According to what I've read, Etymotic seems to provide the best sound isolation. I've also read that different tips can be put on virtually all earbuds to enhance noise cancellation, is this true? Does it really matter which earbuds I buy if I can just change the tips. Should I just focus on sound quality for the earbuds?

Sound quality is my second priority, obviously. I listen to every genre, but mostly electronic, hip-hop, experimental, indie, avant-garde, ambient, rock. So bass is important, but so is everything else I suppose. In addition to music, I'll be using them for movies, lectures, audio books, and all other computer audio. I'd prefer a neutral sound.

Comfort is also pretty important because I'll be using them for everything, but I understand that sound isolation comes at a price with regard to closed headphones.

My budget is up to $120-$130 for each set. I don't plan on using an amp, just plugging the 'phones into my computer speakers or the motherboard/sound card.

I would also like something with a microphone, but I know that few good sets with one exist. I bring it up because I plan on using VoIP/video chat/etc. quite a bit. Maybe I can just strap a mic on with duct tape? like in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? LOL. I can use one of those Logitech mic stands or something if need be, so I don't have to keep changing headsets or something silly like that.

But again, I'm mainly concerned about passive noise cancellation.

These are some I've considered so far:

IEM:

Shure SE110
Etymotic ER6
Etymotic ER6i (I forgot the difference between the two)
Sennheiser CX 500
Audio Technica Quietpoint Ath-ck7 Isolation

Closed headphones:

Senheiser HD 280 Pro

Thanks, this forum has been very helpful so far.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 6
IEMs will attenuate the noise much more than closed phones.

As for choice it depends on the type of sound you want. You mention wanting bass, but then also say you want neutral.

The ER6 has a flat response (give or take ear variations), while the ER6i has a boosted bass, and a lower impedance (more easily driven by a low power player). These days there is a like for a boosted base, so depending on what you are used to, you may find the ER6i better. Not really familiar with the others.

If your location is so noisy that you need to wear earplugs all the time, then I doubt that even a noise cancelling microphone will give you clear communications.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by richardu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mention wanting bass, but then also say you want neutral.

I don't want a lack of bass. I want everything balanced. That's what I meant.

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're on the right route..

The Ety ER4s are very good in isolating noise. I've never tried the ER6, but looking from the tip, it should work about the same.

Is the sound on those ER4s "enhanced" or neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back