Best noise canceling headphones.
Jul 6, 2019 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a problem, they are building new apartments in our house, with drills and a lot of other really annoying sounds all day long. Unfortunately my vacation starts now and I'm not so happy because I have to live in this sick noise! So I bought a pair of sony wh-h900n, unfortunately they suck with bad sound quality and next to no noise canceling (at least it does not have any effect on concrete drills...)

Do you guys know of any headphones that cancels this type of sound out? As I understand Bose quietcomfort 35 II has the best noise canceling, but they are to expensive.

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 9
You'll probably have to spend more to get better noise canceling unfortunately. I expect construction noise is tough for ANC headphones to deal with, they're better at canceling consistent noises like rumble and white noise. Personally I've compared the QC35 II vs the Sony WH1000XM3 and bought the XM3. There's something about the Bose sound signature in the treble which I don't like. Maybe look for deals on the previous generation models, like the QC25, or XM2.

IEMs are another option if you can handle stuff in your ears for extended periods of time. I also have the Shure SE215 which I think does well for the price compared to ANC headphones.

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 9
You'll probably have to spend more to get better noise canceling unfortunately. I expect construction noise is tough for ANC headphones to deal with, they're better at canceling consistent noises like rumble and white noise. Personally I've compared the QC35 II vs the Sony WH1000XM3 and bought the XM3. There's something about the Bose sound signature in the treble which I don't like. Maybe look for deals on the previous generation models, like the QC25, or XM2.

IEMs are another option if you can handle stuff in your ears for extended periods of time. I also have the Shure SE215 which I think does well for the price compared to ANC headphones.

Yes I have thought of iems but it might be uncomfortable to have for many hours. I might as you said look for used Bose, I don't mind their sound, and ANC is the most important aspect of them.

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I didn't like the treble either, but Rtings gives it's treble higher ratings of 8.2?!

If you look at the treble (QC 35 response below), it's jagged, and I think that is the reason why it sounds like it does. I preferred the XM3 upper frequencies as well. With some bass reduction, XM3 would be an even better headphone IMO.

raw-frequency-response-l-graph (6).png

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Sony WH-1000XM3 got my vote. I use them in the office, they are super comfortable I can wear them all day. The only issue I have with them is they are a bit overly bassy with flabby bloated low end but on the whole they do sound fun, and the NC works really well.

Edit: Should add that cutting out things like drilling and hammering isnt noise cancellings forte, you wont get much luck with that with any headphone really. However the constant low hum of an aircraft or aircon unit, its gonna cut that out completely.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 9
Edit: Should add that cutting out things like drilling and hammering isnt noise cancellings forte, you wont get much luck with that with any headphone really. However the constant low hum of an aircraft or aircon unit, its gonna cut that out completely.

Well that's unfortunate :frowning2: I don't want to use big bulky peltors all day long..

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Crazy idea: wearing IEMs and ANC headphones at the same time. I did this on a flight a few months ago and it was really amazing how much noise was blocked. The ANC blocked the droning wind noise, the IEMs blocked the crying baby.
You probably don't need the best ANC headphones for this method, but you do need low profile IEMs.

Also, I feel your pain. I was at home while they were renovating the apartment next door to mine. Oof. When the weren't running their power tools they were yelling at each other. Oh God, I was so irritated and irritable. I wish I'd thought I'd thought of my passive+active method sooner.

EDIT: the headphones I used were (I think-- they belong to my wife) the Anker Soundcore Space, and the IEMs were my Westone UM Pro 50. I imagine the Westone are out if your budget, but something like the Shure SE215 would probably also work.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 9
So I own both the 100abn as well as the 1000xm3. Both are very good at noise canceling. I wore my 100abn when we had roofers and it easily cut out most of the noise. It may not get rid of it totally but I am not one to be annoyed by light tapping in the background. It is even less noticable with music playing.

Also 1000xm3 do have a strong bass, but a good player like Poweramp will fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back