Best neutral recording headphone for $200-300
Jul 14, 2015 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Garraty

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm a bedroom artist looking for a pair of neutral tracking headphones in the $200-300 range, but I'm willing to go for a more expensive headphone if it's worth it. I'm not looking for a mixing headphone, since for mixing and mastering, I recently bought a pair of HD 600's and a Schiit Magni 2 Uber to drive them. The headphones should be over-ear, closed-back and have a fairly neutral frequency response. By looking through this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/702924/best-studio-headphones) and a couple others, I found some viable options:

Audio Technica ATH-M70x (haven't heard much about these phones, but they're supposed to be more neutral than the M50's, and are pretty cheap since they haven't done too well commercially)
Beyerdynamic DT 150 (heard many good things about these things, supposed to be an industry standard in Europe?, durable with a neutral response)
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 (I know I said over-ear, but I've seen the staggeringly positive impressions and reviews, and their analytical response seem perfect for recording (amazing isolation) AND monitoring, however, I don't know if these are only highly recommended as an on-ear, or they can sound just as good as other over-ear closed headphones)
German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitors (built like a tank, balanced, detailed)
Sony MDR-7520 (a bit expensive with a low impedance, but very detailed)

Looking for any recommendations and impressions of these headphones or of those recommended.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 6
This thread might help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702924/best-studio-headphones

smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, sorry, but I said I looked through that thread in the OP. Thanks though!

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 6
For just tracking purposes, I'm guessing your looking for something to minimize sound bleeding from the headphones to the mic? I'd look at the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. Those are some of the best tracking headphones available. You will be hard pressed to find a more closed isolating headphone.

If all you are doing is tracking it really is unnecessary to go into the $200-300+ range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back