Best 'neutral' headphone that's easily driven out of an iPod or Clip
Dec 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings,
I'm looking for an upgrade for my Sony v6 which I've been using for a few years out of my Sansa Clip. I find the upper midrange peak to be too much for a lot of material. I'm thinking of trying the Sony 7509 (hd or non-hd version), or maybe the shure 840. Prefer to stay in the price range of the 840 or lower. I do a lot of music production and mixing and checking my own mixes, so I tend to prefer a neutral sound signature. I like good, but not over the top, bass like my hd580's....and most of all, good, realistic/uncolored mids. For my computer set up with DAC and amp my preferred phone is the  hd580, but I do a lot of listening out of my 'clip' so would like something that comes close to the 580 but is easy to drive...if that even exists. Is there anything better than the shure 840 in that price range, that will work well without a dedicated amp?

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 17
You might look into the KRK KNS-8400s.  Fairly neutral, well extended at both ends of the spectrum, more comfortable than the 840s (IMO), and $120 at multiple places.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570501/the-krk-kns-8400-you-can-have-it-all

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
You might look into the KRK KNS-8400s.  Fairly neutral, well extended at both ends of the spectrum, more comfortable than the 840s (IMO), and $120 at multiple places.

Thanks...not familiar with those....will have to check out the link. Anyone compare them to the v6 or the 840? I like the v6 a lot other than the harsh upper mid peak.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Thanks...not familiar with those....will have to check out the link. Anyone compare them to the v6 or the 840? I like the v6 a lot other than the harsh upper mid peak.

The 840 is a tried-and-true winner that is slowly superseding the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 as Head-Fi's most-recommended can. However, it's not exactly neutral. You'll find some very nice treble in the 840 (to my ears, at least), but the lower midrange is emphasized.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 17
I use Sony ZX700 all the time. It's basically a smoother version of the V6. Plus the cable is appropriately sized so that it can be used with portable players unlike most of the studio monitors.

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for all the replies. I finally finished reading through the whole thread on the krk 8400. Next I guess I'll have to read through the 840 thread ....or at least some of it. I'm still interested in the sony 7509, since I like the v6, and the 7509 is supposed to be a good upgrade. Unfortunately they're a little over my budget if I buy them new. Will look into the other sonys that were mentioned as well. The most important quality I'm looking for is neutrality since I'll be doing some critical listening to some of my own mixes with them when I'm on the road with only the Clip for amplification. I know they're all designed as 'studio monitors' but I get the impression that the sony would probably be the most 'neutral'... and possibly the KRK's second. I guess I should read up on the m50 as well. Has anyone compared that one to the KRK 8400 or the Shure 840's in terms of neutrality. FWIR they're too bass heavy to be neutral..

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:

Been reading up some more on the KRK 8400. Some folks who bought them are complaining that they're too bright and don't have enough lows. I like the bass and treble at about the level in the hd580/600. Would I find the KRK 8400 to be lacking in bass coming from the hd580....or too heavy handed in the treble? 

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 17
Why don't you look into FA-003 or HM5 for something easy to drive and neutral? Plus you mentioned HD600.

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 17

AKG K142HD ~ it's the secret nemesis of the Shure 840 but semi open, goes unloved for no particularly good
 reason considering how nice it sounds. Excellent relatively neutral value under $200.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 17
The HM5 is a new one to me. I just found out about those yesterday. FWIR it might have better low end and not be as bright than the KRK 8400.. But is it actually good out of a Clip or similar portable device? I think it's 64 ohms if I'm not mistaken.  I read the thread about the FA003 a while back and there were a lot of complaints about shipping, so I passed on them. 
Quote:
Why don't you look into FA-003 or HM5 for something easy to drive and neutral? Plus you mentioned HD600.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 17
Can you explain? Does it sound like the k240S do you know?  I wasn't a big fan of the 240S....big bloat in the upper bass region ruins an otherwise nice sounding headphone, imo. 
Quote:

AKG K142HD ~ it's the secret nemesis of the Shure 840 but semi open, goes unloved for no particularly good
 reason considering how nice it sounds. Excellent relatively neutral value under $200.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
The HM5 is a new one to me. I just found out about those yesterday. FWIR it might have better low end and not be as bright than the KRK 8400.. But is it actually good out of a Clip or similar portable device? I think it's 64 ohms if I'm not mistaken.  I read the thread about the FA003 a while back and there were a lot of complaints about shipping, so I passed on them. 

You should look at the sensitivity number for whether they are good enough or not. Sensitivity: 105dB at 1mW. They are one of the easiest to drive full-size out there. Ask some owners if your specific device have enough volume for them or not.

HM5's discount is about to expire very soon.

GD Audiobase is notorious for its unresponsiveness and slow shipping. Not recommended unless you can take the risk.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 17
The M50 is worth looking into.  You might find the bass a bit overdone, but then again you might not since you like the HD580.  It has more bass than the 580 along with more treble, but it has a smooth upper midrange IMO.  Smoother than most cans in the upper mids. 

Is there a guitar center near you?  If not, how about buying used so you can sell them with little loss?

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
The M50 is worth looking into.  You might find the bass a bit overdone, but then again you might not since you like the HD580.  It has more bass than the 580 along with more treble, but it has a smooth upper midrange IMO.  Smoother than most cans in the upper mids. 

Is there a guitar center near you?  If not, how about buying used so you can sell them with little loss?

I was thinking of those, since they often pop up used, and I might save a few bucks. I don't mind some good strong bass for casual listening. In fact I modded my v6 a little and they give some real punchy low end, which I like. If it weren't for a big peak around 4 khz and higher, they'd be very good closed phones. How is the midrange on the m50? More than anything else, I like a very realistic midrange, since vocals are mainly in that range. The first thing that turns me off in a headphone or speaker is any coloration or peaks in the mids. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 17
Unfortunately, the M50's suffer from reccessed mids. Compared to the 595's, they felt flat with no depth and uninteresting in my opinion. It's the main reason I've returned them as it was quite noticable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back