Best Netbook?
Dec 19, 2008 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been pondering the idea of getting my girlfriend a netbook for Christmas this year. The Acer Aspire One was the one that originally caught my eye and is one of the options I could resonably aquire in just a couple days. They have the 120GB Windows XP version at the Coscto Wholesale I work at for $350. I've noticed that there is now a 160GB option with a larger battery as well, but they don't carry it at Coscto, unfortunately.

Costco also carries the HP 2113 netbook for one-hundred dollars more. Judging by the reviews and features I think I would be better off with the Acer.

Buying at Coscto would be a huge plus (90 return policy/+ free two-year extended manufacturer warranty).

Is there anything I should know before taking the plunge on the Acer?

Also, I am a little leary buying back into the Acer brand. About 15 years ago my grandparents bought an Acer Aspire PC that was the worst $2000 anyone ever spent. It was litterally the worst PC I have ever used.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been pondering the idea of getting my girlfriend a netbook for Christmas this year. The Acer Aspire One was the one that originally caught my eye and is one of the options I could resonably aquire in just a couple days. They have the 120GB Windows XP version at the Coscto Wholesale I work at for $350. I've noticed that there is now a 160GB option with a larger battery as well, but they don't carry it at Coscto, unfortunately.

Costco also carries the HP 2113 netbook for one-hundred dollars more. Judging by the reviews and features I think I would be better off with the Acer.

Buying at Coscto would be a huge plus (90 return policy/+ free two-year extended manufacturer warranty).

Is there anything I should know before taking the plunge on the Acer?

Also, I am a little leary buying back into the Acer brand. About 15 years ago my grandparents bought an Acer Aspire PC that was the worst $2000 anyone ever spent. It was litterally the worst PC I have ever used.

As a acer aspire one owner, I think I can help you--

The laptop is great, very fast I can even run photoshop and games smoothly. I have the 160GB and larger cap battery version, so I have around 4 hours and 45 minutes of battery time depending what I'm doing (I mostly use it to take class notes). As for the build quality, I like the case (except the laptop lid which is very plastic) because its made of some kind of hardened plastic, very durable. I've been using it for 6 months, so I'm not too sure in terms of long term quality how it will be but no troubles so far.

Also, if you plan on upgrading the memory like I did to 1.5GB, its very hard to do unless you've opened up laptops before...lots of things to unscrew and disassemble.

overall I'm very happy with it, I would get a neoprene case to protect it though--the asus eee cases work very nicely.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 89
and i wouldnt recommend the shorter battery life version unless you are going to use it on the go alot... i heard it barely lasts 3 hours, mostly likely around 2 hours

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and i wouldnt recommend the shorter battery life version unless you are going to use it on the go alot... i heard it barely lasts 3 hours, mostly likely around 2 hours

I guess I'm probably going to buy the 'One' from Coscto and just opt to get the six-cell battery later on down the line. I don't think my girlfriend will fill up a 120GB HD anyhow.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 89
I just got the Aspire One and I couldn't be happier, but do get that 6-cell later on (who knows, you may still be satisfied with the 3-cell battery). Personally, I'm contemplating buying one of those 8.9 in touch-screen kits to add touch screen capabilities to mine in the next couple of months (if I get bored enough).

The one thing I noted that may or may not bug new owners is the mouse button placement. Most laptops tend to place the two buttons below the mouse-pad but the Aspire One actually puts them on the side, so the left click button is on the left of the pad and the right click on the right. It felt a little odd at first but if you've played with finger-trackball mice, the arrangement actually works fairly well.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the Aspire One and I couldn't be happier, but do get that 6-cell later on (who knows, you may still be satisfied with the 3-cell battery). Personally, I'm contemplating buying one of those 8.9 in touch-screen kits to add touch screen capabilities to mine in the next couple of months (if I get bored enough).

How is the sound out of the headphone jack?

I might have to buy a little USB-DAC to use when I'm using it. Girlfriend wouldn't give a damn about that, though.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 89
Radio Shack has a deal down here where you can get the Acer Aspire One running XP for 99.00 if you sign for a two year internet service contract (sim card for the Acer) through ATT (another 60/month). Not a bad deal if your considering getting an internet card anyways.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappucho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radio Shack has a deal down here where you can get the Acer Aspire One running XP for 99.00 if you sign for a two year internet service contract (sim card for the Acer) through ATT (another 60/month). Not a bad deal if your considering getting an internet card anyways.

Sounds good. I don't think I'd trade that for the Costco perks, though.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 89
Here's the link with the specs in case you changed your mind....

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the sound out of the headphone jack?

I might have to buy a little USB-DAC to use when I'm using it. Girlfriend wouldn't give a damn about that, though.

I only plugged into the headphone jack once (I bought it on Black Friday 2 days before I had to come back to work and won't have a chance to play with it again until the 25th/26th). As I recall, it wasn't bad. I was plugged in with my JVC HA-FX66 and I thought I heard a light hiss but my room really isn't that quiet so it was hard to tell. You probably wouldn't be too bad off buying a USB-DAC (I plan on doing so), but I think it would be just fine for portable headphones in a pinch.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 89
I'm also thinking of getting the AAO for surfing & also for home audio rig. The recent good review of NuForce Mobile seems to be a prefect match (of coz there're many others like ibasso, etc).

Anyone else using a netbook as their home audio rig ? Any problems so far, like heat, interference, etc ?

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 89
acer's are fine; other than ibm or apple, all laptops are similar crap; i wouldn't use it out of warranty; i like acer over other crap brands like dell, compaq etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back