Best Navships Wire for Headphone Re-Cabling?
May 17, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cms5423 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To revive an old thread
smily_headphones1.gif
I Have a question on this:

How is the 24 awg teflon SPC wire from Jon's wire (navships) for recabling--based on audio quality? I ask because I hear everyone recabling the HFI-780s with really expensive wire. Would using SPC from Jon's wire shop still be an upgrade to the HFI 780 cable? Why do people dislike the stock cable so much? Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes. I can't speak for the Ultrasone specifically, but headphone mfrs are not really able to use esoteric wire types to form their cables - it's simply economically prohibitive, based on the price point of the headphone.

It's said that silver-plated copper (SPC) such as John's wire is superior in high frequencies and may result in a much better high-frequency response for many headphones - perhaps even a "sparkle." As with all such things, YMMV.

May 17, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #17 of 22
So for more of a transparent wire, what is a good option? I want to keep it kinda cheap, which is where navships wire is perfect, but what would a good transparent wire option be, as opposed to the "sparkle" of SPC. Thanks again
atsmile.gif

May 17, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #18 of 22
Thanks tom, yeah that was kind of annoying. So yeah, people use like 99.999% cryo-treated copper and such, but what would be a cheaper, but still good, transparent sounding wire option to use for recabling? Or would navships SPC be the best option? And what would be the best gauge to use for recabling my ultrasone HFI-780s. Thanks again guys
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cms5423 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks tom, yeah that was kind of annoying. So yeah, people use like 99.999% cryo-treated copper and such, but what would be a cheaper, but still good, transparent sounding wire option to use for recabling? Or would navships SPC be the best option? And what would be the best gauge to use for recabling my ultrasone HFI-780s. Thanks again guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm no expert on re-cabling and can only relate what I've heard and read. IMHO, the Navshipps is probably the cheapest alternative that may make the biggest sound difference. Some people use the Canare or Mogami starquad, which is a good upgrade over stock headphone cable, but I don't think it's as "transparent" as SPC, from what people have said. The problem with Navshipps is that you're stuck with braiding and covering with techflex or similar, so it'll be more work than other options, too. Of course, you can get teflon-insulated SPC for much cheaper than Navshipps, but you'll have to buy a bunch of it.

There's always Cardas cable itself - you can buy some of that and try it out if money is no object.
wink.gif

Or, simply join the camp that says cabling makes no difference.
wink.gif

May 17, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #20 of 22
Yeah, well this is going to be for after I finish making my p2p SSMH and enclosing it, and I still have to make some ICs and a DAC haha, so tons of projects for this summer.

But I kind of like being able to braid and cover it, so it would fun doing it with navships.

Also, if anyone else has used navships (or any kind of wire) to recable their headphones, please post and let me know what you thought of the sound difference and if you liked it or not, and also what kind of wire and the price per foot or meter. Thanks everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 22
Anyone else?

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back