Best Musical supra aural cans (portable,unamped), senn or grado or what?
Jan 19, 2010 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

hamedy

100+ Head-Fier
hi there

my experience with not-IEM headphones are just limited to a PX100 which I gave it to a friend. now I just have a pair of IE8's and wanna get a pair of portable supra aural phones.
I had a triple fi 10 pro which was stolen couple of months ago, it was so great technicaly but i think it was not sounding musical, like the way PX100 do,
it had better accuracy in all freqs and better detail and better everything but i never tempted to listen to music through them like PX100's, i want to say i'm not after the best cans in regard of technical sound, I want the best MUSICAL sound available, I prefer IE8's to triple fi's just because of that.
now I dont know how is it in comparison between senn and grado, which one can tempt me to listen to music more?
my source is creative zen vision:m so it has to be driven unamped.
grado sr60 , sr80 , senn px100, px100 v2, or any other suggestion,
tell me the reason please not just your choise

thanks in advance
atsmile.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 22
Thats tough. What exactly would you define as musical? Lots of bass, forward mids, smooth and laidback?

Id probably narrow it down to the HD238 and MS-1. The HD238 is like a better PX100 making them a safe choice. They are portable too. The MS-1 sounds better overall in my opinion, but they are fullsize headphones making them less portable. They will easily beat the Senns for rock music, however.

The Senns are warmer/more laid back and have more bass impact. The MS-1 has better separation, is faster, and is more forward and in your face sounding. Soundstage is similar between the two.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 22
thank you JayB18 for mentioning HD238 since I totally forgot them while they are exactly in the category I described.
by Musical, I mean mostly more airy sound but yet I want it to be as sharp and punchy as needed to enjoy rock music. so to be Airy and sharp and punchy in priority.

I see you sold SR60 and PX100 while keeping HD238 and MS-1s, could you please tell me the reason why you sold SR60's? I've read many good reviews for SR60's to be the best choice under 100$ and they have the same funny Grado signature used in RS1's with the capability to be driven by a portable source and I'm much tempted to try a Grado phone but also I hate to be disappointed with them since I experienced this situation before by reading something is finest in their category but it was not at all!

and since i heard PX100's it could be much helpful if you make a comparison between PX100, HD238, SR60's and MS-1's with the PX100 being the reference of comparison.

and last question, which company makes MS-1's ?! they are like grados but i dont know much about them.
thanks beforehand

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 22
Audio Technica ESW10JPN. (Hey, you didn't mention the budget, so...
tongue.gif
)

Should you have the money to purchase this, it will easily outperform all the headphones that's been mentioned so far.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by hamedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you JayB18 for mentioning HD238 since I totally forgot them while they are exactly in the category I described.
by Musical, I mean mostly more airy sound but yet I want it to be as sharp and punchy as needed to enjoy rock music. so to be Airy and sharp and punchy in priority.

I see you sold SR60 and PX100 while keeping HD238 and MS-1s, could you please tell me the reason why you sold SR60's? I've read many good reviews for SR60's to be the best choice under 100$ and they have the same funny Grado signature used in RS1's with the capability to be driven by a portable source and I'm much tempted to try a Grado phone but also I hate to be disappointed with them since I experienced this situation before by reading something is finest in their category but it was not at all!

and since i heard PX100's it could be much helpful if you make a comparison between PX100, HD238, SR60's and MS-1's with the PX100 being the reference of comparison.

and last question, which company makes MS-1's ?! they are like grados but i dont know much about them.
thanks beforehand

I sold the SR60 and PX100 simply because I had no use for them. The MS-1 and HD238 are better sounding phones.

The Alessandro MS-1 is made by Grado and distributed by Alessandro. They are tweaked for a more neutral response. They have slightly less of a midbass hump, and are slightly more laid back in the mids and highs than the SR60 (from what I remember). They still sound like Grados though, just a bit tamer and more versatile.

The PX100 definately has more bass than the SR60/MS-1 but the MS1/SR60 is much clearer sounding in the midrange and treble. The bass on the MS-1/SR60 is much faster and cleaner sounding though. HD238 is similar in bass to the PX100 (though higher quality) but they have a noticeably better midrange and treble response. Soundstage on the Hd238, SR60, and MS1 are all better than the PX100 but none are going to blow you away. MS-1 has the best separation, detail, and clarity overall and are technically the best sounding phones. The HD238 are probably second best overall (never did a direct comparison with the SR60 so I cant say for sure) and are a safer choice as far as portability is concerned. However, the MS-1 is faster and more airy sounding than the HD238.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go with grado Sr80i

Are you sure they perform better than 60's unamped?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold the SR60 and PX100 simply because I had no use for them. The MS-1 and HD238 are better sounding phones.

The Alessandro MS-1 is made by Grado and distributed by Alessandro. They are tweaked for a more neutral response. They have slightly less of a midbass hump, and are slightly more laid back in the mids and highs than the SR60 (from what I remember). They still sound like Grados though, just a bit tamer and more versatile.

The PX100 definately has more bass than the SR60/MS-1 but the MS1/SR60 is much clearer sounding in the midrange and treble. The bass on the MS-1/SR60 is much faster and cleaner sounding though. HD238 is similar in bass to the PX100 (though higher quality) but they have a noticeably better midrange and treble response. Soundstage on the Hd238, SR60, and MS1 are all better than the PX100 but none are going to blow you away. MS-1 has the best separation, detail, and clarity overall and are technically the best sounding phones. The HD238 are probably second best overall (never did a direct comparison with the SR60 so I cant say for sure) and are a safer choice as far as portability is concerned. However, the MS-1 is faster and more airy sounding than the HD238.

thanks a lot mate you cleared many things,
so you prefer MS-1's, where can I check their price ? they are not available at amazon and the company website is pretty useless , no price tag, no shopping, but they have a link for items in basket !!
and could you tell me what kind of tweaks they applied to original grado's to produce MS-1's ?

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 22
The MS-1 is a great alternative price-wise for a Grado phone if you're outside the US. Supposedly based on the SR-125 platform. You can only purchase them directly from Alessandro. I believe the shipping is free.

- Ed

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 22
Not sure what exactly they tweaked besides the frequency response. The MS1 is $99 shipped worldwide from the Alessandro website. Just click on headphones and then add to cart. Then in the shopping cart you simply click total order.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 22
The MS1i will be the best bang for the buck from that listing. Plus the worldwide shipping is stellar.

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by falis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS-1 is a great alternative price-wise for a Grado phone if you're outside the US. Supposedly based on the SR-125 platform. You can only purchase them directly from Alessandro. I believe the shipping is free.

- Ed

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what exactly they tweaked besides the frequency response. The MS1 is $99 shipped worldwide from the Alessandro website. Just click on headphones and then add to cart. Then in the shopping cart you simply click total order.

thanks for all replies

seems it gonna be the MS1's
icon10.gif

but if it's based on 125's driver , I heard for a portable use you never should go upper than SR60 if you gonna use it unamped, so how MS1's will be drived out of Vision:m ?
are your advices made considering that it will be unamped ? specially in compare with SR60's ?

and the problem with website was because of java !
they used java platform in their site and Firefox just ignore it without any notice ! so I installed java platform and in IE the "add item" buttons just appeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back