Best Musical Headphones?
May 2, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #31 of 43
DT250-80s are a good bet, same with SR-225

I assume you thought the HD580s lacked energy; the senns have tons of energy just in areas you didn't find appealing, that's ok. The SR225 and DT250 each have lots of energy in areas the HD580s don't such as upper midrange, lower treble; and perhaps a warmer midrange, and less bass.

Cheers,
Geek

May 2, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #32 of 43
Well if you don't like the Senn sound going further up the house sound will only make things worse. Like others have said, Grado 225 is a great choice for immediacy and if you want the similiar presentation but with more warmth the Beyer 880. I really liked both for hard rock but the Beyer was better for melodic sections, the Grado was drier so failed to engage in groove sections.

May 2, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Well if you don't like the Senn sound going further up the house sound will only make things worse. Like others have said, Grado 225 is a great choice for immediacy and if you want the similiar presentation but with more warmth the Beyer 880. I really liked both for hard rock but the Beyer was better for melodic sections, the Grado was drier so failed to engage in groove sections.

Then you should try the SR325, best mix IMO.

May 2, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Grados has a completely flat soundstage... my personal peeve is that I think a headphone can be fun, musical, and emotionally involving without robbing me of that sense of 3d space.

However, some people are addicted to that Grado sound just because they feel the opposite.. nothing wrong with that.

The Grados put you face-smack right in middle of the music. Everything starts with your head and then out... unlike other headphones that does the opposite, where you feel the sound coming from far away inward (simulating speakers in a concert hall.. etc..).

Must be something wrong with your equipment. Make sure your source and amplification are not malfunctioning.

May 3, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
CD3K with a decent amp

I'm curious, don't you guys find it bright. I tried it for 5 mins and wanted to get the thing off my head. The only way I'll listen to it is with a single-ended tube amp.

May 3, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #37 of 43
Most musical -- AKG K-1000. With a good amp you just get lost in the sound.

Most musical and most underated headphone -- AKG 501. Sweet upper mids, and really tuneful bass when driven by a good amp. Amazing!

May 3, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Must be something wrong with your equipment. Make sure your source and amplification are not malfunctioning.

Nope, nothing wrong with my set-up at all
wink.gif

Perhaps I was a little harsh, but Grado's soundstage is by far the smallest, shortest in distance, of all the audiophile quality headphones we hear on this site. Of course, on the other hand, Grado lovers might feel all other headphone has a "fake" soundstage.

May 3, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk
I'm curious, don't you guys find it bright. I tried it for 5 mins and wanted to get the thing off my head. The only way I'll listen to it is with a single-ended tube amp.

I don't find it bright. I even listened to it with my gilmore v1 (with a DACT stepped attenuator) which some percieve to be a bright amp. It sounded very detailed and airy - kind of like an unrealistic sounding grado with a large soundstage.
tongue.gif
The drum symbols sound rather "tinny," thus it was an unrealistic reproduction. I actually didn't make this observation (my brother did), but it became evident once I concentrated.

Nevertheless, I found it to be quite a fun and enjoyable can despite its "fake" reproduction. I can though see how some may think it is bright.

IMO, the most musical cans are the grado rs-1's. Now those are just sweet.
rs1smile.gif

Regards,
Dan

May 8, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk

Maybe you're sensitive to certain frequencies.
The grado sr-325 is indeed much brighter than the sony on the overall, and it perplexes me because you find it pretty neutral.

MOSt musical headphone(to these ears) - in order of preference : Grado RS-1 , Sony CD3000, Sennheiser HD650.

May 8, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Sword
Every time I hear about Sennheiser now, I am baffled.
I figured I just can't deal with a laid back sound, my personality is too energetic, heck I think adding energy to classical makes it sound better in my loner opinion.

Have you actually listened to HD580/600/650s? I wouldn't be so sure until you've listened. I would have said something similar myself before getting HD580s last year, but I fell so hard for the sound that they actually changed my musical tastes/preferences somewhat. They're not too good for rock, and I found myself starting to veer away from listening to rock (and more into other types of music) instead of getting different headphones. Bottom line... you never know what's going to happen with a pair of cans, and an audition (preferably lengthy and at home rather than at a meet or audio store) is always a good idea, IMO.

May 8, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #43 of 43
I'm shocked that the Stax Mafia has'nt arrived to beat you over the head with a KGSS. Maybe I just jinxed you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back