Best Music Player for PC?!?
Jan 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 24
So foobar with WASAPI outputting through USB works now?
Crashed every time I tried it.  I never go 24-bit either as I don't have anything other than 16/44.1 music.

Well, omit that sentence then.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 24

I use Foobar 2K with WASAPI for both my USB DAC and my Coax PCM1793 DAC and it work perfect
for both at 16 bit and 24 bit. I must admit, though, all my files are in .wav format.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
So foobar with WASAPI outputting through USB works now?
Crashed every time I tried it.  I never go 24-bit either as I don't have anything other than 16/44.1 music.

Well, omit that sentence then.

When WASAPI first appeared (being an optional component at the time), there were some minor random issues, but nothing that would be considered a showstopper. But that was quite some time ago, prior to v1.x. Now it works flawlessly.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 24
Another vote here for J River Media Center. I used Foobar for many years before upgrading to J River. J River just does everything right. To me it is THE perfect total media player. They also really pay attention to the audiophile market. Best 50 bucks I ever spent on computer audio!

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
Another vote here for J River Media Center. I used Foobar for many years before upgrading to J River. J River just does everything right. To me it is THE perfect total media player. They also really pay attention to the audiophile market. Best 50 bucks I ever spent on computer audio!

I think you mean before changing to J River, upgrading might be too big of a word
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
Quote:

I actually really like the look of this. However, it reminds me of Apple's take on a media centre for some reason, iTunes I believe it's called lol. Not so sure considering I haven't seen anybody else raving about it though to be honest, cheers anyway.

Ta!  

Raving about media players is a lot like raving about operating systems. 
tongue_smile.gif

I'll put my vote in for J River Media Center.  I really like it.  It's fantastic for managing and organizing a music library.  If you have several hundred (or a thousand or more) CDs the organization and management features in J River become quite useful.

My choice in media players comes down to either J River or Foobar.  I use both.  I use J River far more, and J River is what I use for organizing my library.  But I still use Foobar at times for playback and some of the utilities it has.  I haven't bothered to customize Foobar.  I just use it as it is along with a few extensions.

Foobar and J River are different in their approach.  Either or neither may suit you and your preferences.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
uLilith or WMP11/WMPC with Reclock.
After that, Foobar2000.

Many many thanks for the recommendations, reading all about uLilith it seems really OTT with it being in Japanese to get my head round. When the English version's out I'll definitely give it a go. Foobar2000 maybe the one.

Cheers!  

The English version is what I use.  It is called uLilith, the japanese version is Lilith.

You can grab the latest build here: http://www.project9k.jp/download/uLilith/

Still, compared to a regular transport, any of these media players color the sound mildly and screw up the soundstage.  Foobar is rather muddy compared to uLilith to my ears, but both can't get the soundstage right compared to my DVD player feeding my DAC directly.  uLilith already has WASAPI built in if you want to use that or google and download ASIO4ALL if you use a USB DAC.  Foobar's WASAPI plugin fails with USB output, but uLilith's doesn't.  ASIO4ALL sounds better than WASAPI with either to me.  It is slightly more "alive" and richer.  Reclock seems to be the most neutral and transparent to me.

Honestly, I'm tired of using a PC as transport.  (It is best reserved for anime.)  I use my DVD player more since it does everything better through jitter-laden optical, LOL.  I can just imagine how much better it would be with a better transport using coax digital.  No rush to upgrade, my music sounds damn good right now.  =]

I would like to know what are you basing yourself on to make that claim. I've been using WASAPI through USB for years, no issues whatsoever.

@CardasHD650: foobar2000 has quite a clear and high quality output with WASAPI. If for some reason WASAPI doesn't suit your taste, both ASIO and Kernel Streaming can be used, though WASAPI is really the way to go.

At the moment it does have a plugin that syncs uPod/iPhone/iPad, and Zune syncing is in the works. I made a thread about a few things that can optimize foobar2000, with components not found on foobar2000's homepage. Take a look:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536003/ditch-itunes-get-foobar2000-and-tweak-it-to-your-liking

Many thanks, Roller!

The Foobar / WASAPI combo produces brilliant sound mate, very impressed, ta :)

@MadMax: Cheers for that mate, I wasn't aware. I'm sticking with Foobar2 for the time being though :)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I actually really like the look of this. However, it reminds me of Apple's take on a media centre for some reason, iTunes I believe it's called lol. Not so sure considering I haven't seen anybody else raving about it though to be honest, cheers anyway.

Ta!  

Raving about media players is a lot like raving about operating systems. 
tongue_smile.gif

I'll put my vote in for J River Media Center.  I really like it.  It's fantastic for managing and organizing a music library.  If you have several hundred (or a thousand or more) CDs the organization and management features in J River become quite useful.

My choice in media players comes down to either J River or Foobar.  I use both.  I use J River far more, and J River is what I use for organizing my library.  But I still use Foobar at times for playback and some of the utilities it has.  I haven't bothered to customize Foobar.  I just use it as it is along with a few extensions.

Foobar and J River are different in their approach.  Either or neither may suit you and your preferences.

LOL so true ;D

I had a rather large hard drive that died on me a few month back, must've had around 8000 tunes on it – the word devastated doesn’t come close lol! I've only got around 800 now, all copied from CD, so it's not much of an issue for an organiser really. Extremely impressed with this Foobar though.

Thanks again everyone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back