Best music player for my in ears.
Sep 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DonRoger

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm pretty new with this. I bought a Shure se215 a while ago but the music is not really the best on my HTC One X, so I wonder what the best music player is for the Shure under the 100 euro/132 dollar. I didn't found something what's good for this price, and I really hope you can help me out with this.

Greets

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 20
Why not try a Fiio X3?  It's $199 in the US (not sure of it's price abroad, but I have seen it for the same price on Ebay directly from Hong Kong). From what I've read sound quality is excellent, and it plays a number of lossless formats like FLAC.  It should be an excellent DAP if you don't care about things like video.  

I have an iPod Touch (3rd Generation) but I don't use it much anymore because I purchased a Sansa Clip+ that I'm extremely happy with.  It's sounds fantastic with my V-Moda M-80s and JVC HA-FXT90 IEMs. Unfortunately I've already managed to crack the LCD while it was in my pocket. 

So I'm 99% sure that I will get a Fiio X3 as it plays FLAC, and has a Micro SD expansion slot, two of my requirements for any new DAP. 

Best of luck, Markus

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 20
X3 has a usable UI, with regular updates to its firmware to improve it and fix bugs.
C3, not so much...

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 20
Agreed, but SQ is meaningless if the UI is to difficult to use.
IMHO, of course, and from owning a couple of other audio quality players that sit in a drawer because the UI on them is not easy.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 20
If its about the looks, then I think quitting the audiophile career for some, is a must.

The C3, sure it has some stupid UI flaws, but its UI is, however, rather simplistic, so it is usable. I, and many others, are still able to utilise it for its musical purposes.

I think my real reason here, is for him not to get an X3. Try a DX50.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 20
If its about the looks, then I think quitting the audiophile career for some, is a must.

The C3, sure it has some stupid UI flaws, but its UI is, however, rather simplistic, so it is usable. I, and many others, are still able to utilise it for its musical purposes.

Get a DX50 and wait for X5 lol

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 20

Question:  have you listened to the X3 or are you going by what you read?  

I'm asking because I can't imagine it has subpar sound quality, having used several Fiio products.  

And for me, I can buy one locally at B&H for $199, and if there are any major disappointments, I can exchange it for a Cowon player, for example.  

The DX50 sounds interesting.  But as it uses almost identical components to the X3, I'm having a hard time with the idea that sound quality will be dramatically different. 

Thanks. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 20
Question:  have you listened to the X3 or are you going by what you read?  

I'm asking because I can't imagine it has subpar sound quality, having used several Fiio products.  

And for me, I can buy one locally at B&H for $199, and if there are any major disappointments, I can exchange it for a Cowon player, for example.  

The DX50 sounds interesting.  But as it uses almost identical components to the X3, I'm having a hard time with the idea that sound quality will be dramatically different. 

Thanks. 

No, I have not heard the FiiO yet, but judging from their other products, which I have heard for the record, I also trust what I read about the X3.

Not only that, but most reviews on the X3 state it has mediocre sound quality, and I also see a few on the threads from time to time, which indicates it must be a really fine product. :/

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 20
No, I have not heard the FiiO yet, but judging from their other products, which I have heard for the record, I also trust what I read about the X3.

Not only that, but most reviews on the X3 state it has mediocre sound quality, and I also see a few on the threads from time to time, which indicates it must be a really fine product. :/

Do you have any links to the Fiio X3 reviews that claim it has mediocre sound quality?  

The ones I've read here on Head Fi and elsewhere have mentioned it having a "warm sound" typically found in some of Fiio DAC/amp units, but I haven't seen any at all that characterized it's sound quality as "mediocre".  

The main complaint I've read is that it lacks an Equalizer, but since with my headphones I almost always use my current DAP on Flat, this is not an issue. 

Thanks.  

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #15 of 20
  Do you have any links to the Fiio X3 reviews that claim it has mediocre sound quality?  

The ones I've read here on Head Fi and elsewhere have mentioned it having a "warm sound" typically found in some of Fiio DAC/amp units, but I haven't seen any at all that characterized it's sound quality as "mediocre".  

The main complaint I've read is that it lacks an Equalizer, but since with my headphones I almost always use my current DAP on Flat, this is not an issue. 

Thanks.  

http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-fiio-x3-dap/

http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/1lrzso/this_is_why_the_fiio_x3_sucks_and_always_will_suck/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/fiio-x3-thread-full-review-http-www-head-fi-org-t-663600-impression-fiio-x3-high-fi-low-price/4740#post_9775229

There's many others saying it is just a mediocre player, producing mediocre sound quality.

Although the term, "Mediocre" wasn't often mentioned in reviews, other forms of that word was rather mentioned in comments/posts made by people. 

Well, all I really want him to avoid here is "that" warm Fiio sound... The E11 was enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back