Best music internet distributor
Jul 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pingupenguins

Member of the Trade: BTG Audio / Q Audio
I'm looking for a site that carries a lot of names in music that distributes in FLAC. I use bandcamp for most of my stuff cause they have a bunch of artists that i listen to and they hand out free 320 mp3's and FLAC. So I was wondering where I could buy music online and get at least 320 mp3's all the time. not like iTunes with its 128 and 256. If I have to I guess I will buy CD's if there is no distributor. I know of a free site that you get stuff off of but I feel like i need to support the littler guys.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 6
*iTunes with it's only 256 Kbps.

Also, in terms of audio quality, 256 AAC is on par with 320 MP3. Indeed, it's arguably better. AAC is the successor to MP3 in every single way both literally and figuratively.

As for distributors, the biggest one I know of is indeed Bandcamp, which you've already found. While Amazon says 320 MP3 I've gotten a few 192 MP3's from them in the past regardless of their statements to the contrary.

When a band isn't on Bandcamp and I truly want their album in lossless I go to the band itself. Bands that self-distribute or some with good labels will often sell a high-quality rip on their site. Radiohead does this with all their self-produced albums and more of the big but not top-40 bands are starting to do it as well.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Bleep rocks my face off.  More distributors should ape their model or, if they continue to grow, they'll be one-stop shopping someday anyway.

EDIT:

[size=medium]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just buy CDs so I can rip them as whatever I want. Plus I like being able to physically own my music. 

Unless it has interesting packaging, I just don't see the point anymore.  Some people like to have a shelf full of physical media.  I ripped mine and sold/gifted (nearly) my entire collection.  I'm a minimalist, so having thousands of albums on a single hard drive or having a few flash drives as opposed to several CD wallets in my car is an attractive prospect.
[/size]

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Magnatune.com is a great site if you have never checked it out before.

You can stream any of their music for free on their website (flash player or .m3u streams) and they also have iOS/Android apps.  $15 a month will get you unlimited DRM free downloads of WAV, FLAC, OGG, AAC, and MP3 albums with high quality album art (in both Adobe Acrobat and 300DPI JPG formats).

They add 5 new albums per week and only add great music (they claim to only accept 3% of their submissions).  There is also a free trial so if you want to be an @$$ you can get the free trial, download 12,000 WAV perfect CD-quality albums, and then cancel.  All for free.  

Also, the artist get 50% of your money so you know it's going to a good place.

To read more about Magnatune, they have a descriptive info page right here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back