Best music for showing phones?
Dec 8, 2001 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 9
If at all possible, pick an album the person likes AND is a halfway-decent recording. Otherwise, go w/ shivohum's suggestion.

Dec 8, 2001 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Out of my CDs I usually pick "God Shuffled his feet" (Track 7) by the Crash Test Dummies, a Dave Matthews Band album (..these crowded streets).

I am in the process of compiling a few of the tracks I find more impressive and burning them in a home-made-beowulf-CDR or something like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Perhaps I'll come here and comment the tracks I picked when it is finished.

I'd definitely get the Dummies album if I were you.

Dec 9, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 9
I agree on the CTHD for showcasing phones. I will also say that SACDs do a wonderful job of showing off the maximum potential of phones.

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm with dhwilkin -- I think its best to play something they already know very well, so they can hear the things they've never heard before. Sometimes, it even helps if you know the music well too, so you can point out things that may not be so obvious in a pair of cheapo-phones or loud speakers.

However, I've listened to some of Jude's Patricia Barber CDs, and man alive, that's just some really well recorded stuff, and its fun to listen to as well whether you've heard it before or not.

Dec 9, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 9
I second Dave Matthews, just about any studio album will do, i was also thinking of Metallica's Black Album, it sounds superb for a metal album.

George

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh yeah, Sting: Brand New Day -- many people have heard at least one or two songs on there, and its recorded quite well. Neutral audience type music too.

Dec 11, 2001 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 9
I definitely agree with a Patricia Barber album or try the Gladiator soundtrack (track 2) if you really want to show off. I forget who it was (Jude? McDef?) who was championing that album, but it's a great demonstration disc. I turned my friend onto it, who owns some upscale B&Ws, and he listened to it for a week straight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back