Best Multipurpose Headphone
Sep 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 35
I think that your problem with the HD650s is inadequate amplification.

On paper I'm not particularly keen on the Astro Mixamp either. I have a Xonar D2 soundcard and a Victor SU-HD1, both of which do Dolby Headphone. Both do three types of Dolby Headphone, DH1, DH2 and DH3. DH1 is rather dry, like listening to nearfield monitors in a dampened room. DH2 adds simulated room acoustics and DH3 simulates a larger room. I'm not keen on the room acoustic effects in most situations. They sound rather artificial to me, although I sometimes do use DH3 for the added sense of air. I'm just not keen on DH2. It sounds no more spacious than DH1 with a bit of artificial reverb to me. On games which already have reverb as part of the environmental effects it can sound pretty unpleasant. FWIR, the Astro A40 Mixamp only does DH2, hence why I'm not keen on it.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 35
I'll put in a plug for the DT880 with a nice tube amp (like the Darkvoice 337). Truth be told, the HD650 sound excellent with the DV337 (even though I still preferred the DT880/2003 with that amp). Let the wallet emptying begin! : )

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 35
I doubt it´s just improper amplification Not everyone enjoy the bass boost and rolled off treble and the dark signature the HD 650 has.

8.35D Monitors though I am sure you would be annoyed with the small soundstaging. Those are indead closed but with great isolation. Fixed with new pads but then you may miss some bass instead
smily_headphones1.gif

I preferr the 450 Pros if we are trying to be as cheap as possible. Superb allrounders. 435S looking at frequency charts is probably even better but haven´t heard that one. Another plus for that is it uses the same super efficient driver as the 8.35D Monitors so don´t require much in term of amplification to shine
smily_headphones1.gif

And there is the Pro 900 which is an amazing allrounder as well but demands more in term of amplification and recording quality.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #19 of 35
Thoughts on the Beyerdynamic DT880 or the AKG 601 for this application.

Also, I am considering a amp. Thoughts on the Darkvoice336se or the Little Dot MKIII? Which one?

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #22 of 35
Might as well get the HD555, I couldn't tell any major difference between the two.

That being said, AD700 or AD900 is a nice all-rounder headphone. Denon D2000/D5000 too but it's more bottom-heavy, more intimate-sounding and needs to be amped.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 35
Get the 555s. Both the DT880 and the K601 require a good mains-powered amp - any sonic advantage that either may have over the 555 will not be readily apparent without said amp.

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 35
Edit: Please can the OP confirm - this is the Astro A40 Mixamp we're talking about - for Dolby Headphone use? If not please ignore my posts in the thread so far.

For Dolby Headphone you want to avoid any headphone with physical headstage enhancement. So no reflectors (e.g. HD555) no angled drivers (e.g. ATH AD700) etc.

Headstage should be as neutral as possible. Dolby Headphone is designed to create an artificial headstage. Phones must be detailed and well controlled. In terms of soundstage / headstage you're looking for something that will give 3d depth but not necessarily large or forward (as in 'in front' rather than 'close').

So - we need a headphone that's detailed, well controlled throughout the frequency range, with good resolution and relatively easy to drive. Angled drivers etc should be discounted. I'm using Goldring NS1000s, which do fit the criteria (as long ast they're adequately amplified in passive mode - with ANR on they're fine - they work superbly with Dolby Headphone on Xonar D2 soundcard or Victor SU-DH1 so I assume they'll be fine with the Mixamp) but they're noise cancelling headphones and unless you can find them at a discount (currently down to £50 in the UK - RRP is about £150) you can probably get better closed headphones that fit for the money.

So, with the above in mind, can people please refine their suggestions a little?

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #25 of 35
Advantage with getting the 555s is that you can mod them to make the identical to 595s however you've talked about liking 'crisp clean highs' when compared to the HD600s the high's on the 555/595s are muffled and hide a lot of detail. If you can I'd go for the 600s as they're miles ahead of the 555/595s. They'll sound decent out of a receiver and give you a lot of headroom for upgrade later.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #26 of 35
I have ordered a LD MKIII so we now have that to consider.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AP3X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ordered a LD MKIII so we now have that to consider.

To replace the Mixamp or to amplify the signal from it?

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #28 of 35
Well, I was hoping to amplify the signal from it but it does not have a line out. My goal is really to have the best of both worlds. I would like to have DH for gaming but at the same time have enough amplification to do some of the nicer headsets justice for music.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 35
OK. I don't think you were specific enough. Half the people on this thread probably haven't noticed that you're specifically asking for recommendations for use with Dolby Headphone.

Edit: I do think that you can have the best of both worlds but for Dolby Headphone use several great headphones would be right out. The HD800s, for example, and Dolby Headphone are mutually exclusive because of the soundstage enhancements built into the headphone design. Together they would sound horrible (Edit: an informed guess - I've not tried HD800s with DH).

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #30 of 35
Dolby Headphone for gaming and movies purposes (mostly for gaming). Previously I was looking for a solution that would provide excellent unamped sound quality for music based on my equipment list while at the same time being used for gaming purposes with dolby headphone. The consenses seems to be that I need an amp for music with the nicer headphones so I ordered the LD MKIII last night. I still need to figure out a good multipurpose headset that will perform well on the LD MKIII or on the Mixamp or a solution that allows me to have DH and use the LD MKIII at the same time. Mixamp and the JVC Victor solution does not have a line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back