Best Multi-Purpose Closed Headphones for $250 or Less
Aug 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sardonic Jester

New Head-Fier
(Posted this originally in the Portable section. I think it probably belongs here)

Hello, 

I am looking for a very versatile pair of Headphones that can do everything I want well. 

-Needs to be closed. (I travel quite often and want headphones that I can use on a plane without too much sound leak)

-Needs to work well without amp when traveling. 

-I mainly listen to Heavy Metal, Rock, Hip-Hop, Dub, Alternative. Needs to perform well with these music types. 

-Needs to be good for directional surround sounds. (Will be using these for PC/Console gaming when I am home)

-Needs to be able to connect to my Mixamp Pro (will be connected through Mixamp Pro when playing games or listening to music at home)

-Needs to be under $250 (The lower the price, the better. As long as SQ is kept)

I have read good reviews about these two here, and on other sites. Do you think these would work for my needs? If so, which would be better? 

Also, if you have any other suggestions for set-ups (headphones+small portable amp) that you think would be better. Please don't hesitate to let me know. 

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

$111.07

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50S[/size]

$139.99

[size=1.7em] Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms[/size]

$167.98

[size=1.7em] Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms[/size]

$178.76

Thanks in advance. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 9
Anyone have an recommendations/suggestions for me? 

Price limit of $250 is kind of flexible.  So if you have suggestions that cost a little more, I would still like to hear them. 

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 9
I think you're on the right track. Denons are nice, too but doesn't have the noise isolation that you might be expecting.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 9
You'd probably need to drop the 250 ohm beyers unless you're going to take a portable headphone amp with you, in which case your budget will be blown out. I've seen some decent reviews of akg k550's but have not personally heard them. they're a bit more than $250 but you never know what you'll find if you shop around.
I picked up some v-moda crossfades this afternoon  - you can get the for less than $200. Bass is pretty heavy but I've had them on for about 4 hrs straight now and they're pretty comfy. For the same price though, a million people will tell you the audio technica's are the best value for money.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 9
Denon D2000 if you can still find them (or you can pick it up used).

The reviews and threads for these make them seem awesome. But I am having trouble finding any less than Mid $300. :/ 
I am also not very big on used items. (Personal Preference)

You'd probably need to drop the 250 ohm beyers unless you're going to take a portable headphone amp with you, in which case your budget will be blown out. I've seen some decent reviews of akg k550's but have not personally heard them. they're a bit more than $250 but you never know what you'll find if you shop around.
I picked up some v-moda crossfades this afternoon  - you can get the for less than $200. Bass is pretty heavy but I've had them on for about 4 hrs straight now and they're pretty comfy. For the same price though, a million people will tell you the audio technica's are the best value for money.

I have been reading up more on Opinions between the DT770  80 and the 250.  I think I would prefer the 80's anyways. 

From the "research" I have done so far.  

I am thinking that I will go with this: 

DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms  +  FiiO E11 amp =  $231.56 (including free 2-day shipping)

Does anyone think this would be a "not so great" combo, or think that my money could be better spent?  
If not, I think I will buy these before noon today. :)

Thanks everyone.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

I am thinking that I will go with this: 

DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms  +  FiiO E11 amp =  $231.56 (including free 2-day shipping)

Does anyone think this would be a "not so great" combo, or think that my money could be better spent?  
If not, I think I will buy these before noon today. :)

Thanks everyone.

Heya,

I use that exact setup often. It's fantastic.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back