Best MPD Setup
Nov 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #31 of 50

Quote:
I upgraded to the latest snapshot of ALSA yesterday, still no wav, aiff or aif....any ideas?

Everything else is the same but it works in 0.15 version of mpd.  I was really hoping to listen to some native 24/96 wav files.  On a better note, at least I have the full 24bits coming to my dac now.

Voyage MPD was just announced. Can you give it a try and see if your AIFF and WAv files work. Comes standard with rt kernel. Link: http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd

Info:
Following Voyage ONE, Voyage MPD is another special edition of Voyage Linux that makes embedded hardware (e.g. ATOM, ALIX) become your favourite digital music player and server.
Stable versions:
Development versions:
Snapshot Build:
  1. voyage-mpd-current.tar.bz2 [Live CD]
Current Voyage MPD is based on upcoming Debian squeeze and Voyage Linux 0.7. It contains the following features:
  1. MPD 0.16~alpha2
  2. latest ALSA driver that supports USB Audio Class 2 (allowing 24bit and up to 192Khz sample rates)
  3. 2.6.33 real-time kernel

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #33 of 50
nyc

I don't know how updating alsa worked to enable to you play .wav, .aiff. .aif files.   But from what I gather via the help ticket I put in for 0.16 wav file issue, is that the sndfile plugin was enabled and it only outputs 32bit.  This is why no sound comes from 16 or 24 bit Dacs.  I added this line to the mpd.conf file to disable the plugin and all is well.

decoder {
    plugin "sndfile"
    enabled "no"
}

Also I wanted to point out that even if the rt-kernel is installed on Voyager Linux, if the processor is not explicitly instructed to handle audio threads in real time and if Alsa is not configured to use the real time kernel it is of little use.  Kind of like a heater in your house that is not plugged in....but at least its there so people who want to take advantage of it can.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #34 of 50

Quote:
nyc

I don't know how updating alsa worked to enable to you play .wav, .aiff. .aif files.   But from what I gather via the help ticket I put in for 0.16 wav file issue, is that the sndfile plugin was enabled and it only outputs 32bit.  This is why no sound comes from 16 or 24 bit Dacs.  I added this line to the mpd.conf file to disable the plugin and all is well.

decoder {
    plugin "sndfile"
    enabled "no"
}

Also I wanted to point out that even if the rt-kernel is installed on Voyager Linux, if the processor is not explicitly instructed to handle audio threads in real time and if Alsa is not configured to use the real time kernel it is of little use.  Kind of like a heater in your house that is not plugged in....but at least its there so people who want to take advantage of it can.

In regards to the rt-kernel, you absolutely correct. I was hoping that there might be a wiki page to help set this up in the near future. Right now, I'm in the middle of some personal things, so much that I haven't been able to take Voyage MPD out for a spin.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #35 of 50

Quote:

In regards to the rt-kernel, you absolutely correct. I was hoping that there might be a wiki page to help set this up in the near future. Right now, I'm in the middle of some personal things, so much that I haven't been able to take Voyage MPD out for a spin.

If you check my site you will find instructions on how to set up Alsa and the cpu to take advantage of the rt-kernel including reference links to the original web sites for detailed background information.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #41 of 50
I haven't gotten around to putting the XMOS in a case yet, I am using it as is.

Yes, the Linux kernel has supported USB audio class 2.0 since version 2.6.35 and ALSA since 1.0.23.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #42 of 50
Another MPD user here.
I'm using Voyage MPD on a Dell Mini 9, and it's brilliant. I'm still using the USB connection to my Havana DAC: I don't know whether to go on a USB/SPDIF interface or build a fanless server with a ESI Juli@ soundcard...any ideas?

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #44 of 50

Quote:
Another MPD user here.
I'm using Voyage MPD on a Dell Mini 9, and it's brilliant. I'm still using the USB connection to my Havana DAC: I don't know whether to go on a USB/SPDIF interface or build a fanless server with a ESI Juli@ soundcard...any ideas

The fanless server with Juli@ could be built with an Alix 1d board. Would you be using its audio out or S/PDIF? You could also invest in a better DAC with an asynchronous USB input. Some options are a used Wavelength DAC (look on Audiogon).

Another option is to buy a pre-built machine from Auraliti. Link: http://www.auraliti.com/PK100_Store.html  Auraliti is ung Voyage MPD and MPD on the PK100 and you get analog out and S/PDIF from the ESI Juli@ card they use. Contact Demian Martin for any question you have,

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #45 of 50

Quote:
The fanless server with Juli@ could be built with an Alix 1d board. Would you be using its audio out or S/PDIF? You could also invest in a better DAC with an asynchronous USB input. Some options are a used Wavelength DAC (look on Audiogon).

Another option is to buy a pre-built machine from Auraliti. Link: http://www.auraliti.com/PK100_Store.html  Auraliti is ung Voyage MPD and MPD on the PK100 and you get analog out and S/PDIF from the ESI Juli@ card they use. Contact Demian Martin for any question you have,

Actually I got the idea of the Juli@ soundcard reading about the Aurality.
But I think I'll go with a USB/SPDIF converter, the ART Legato: 99.9% of my music is in redbook format, and my DAC is the Havana, so I'll go for the converter which (probably) will make my CDs sound best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back